What happened to goodgrouper?

http://www.longrangehunting.com/forums/f17/best-west-really-best-47550/

The couple rifles I've shot with Huskemaws worked as advertised and seemed to work well and fast, not my cup of tea as I prefer a Nightforce type reticule and dialing to a ballistics program. The two guys I know would not by another but it had little to do with the optic and more to do with the company.

Thanks, I found it and have been reading it but LRH site is slow to change pages. I have yet to see GG's critique of the huskemaw yet.

Now that Gunwerks and BOTW are divorced, and you can get a Huskemaw from either, it makes me wonder, who to do business with unless I get the 2 for sale in classified. Hmmmm. May just stick with another brand all together.

If you want a Huskemaw, contact Len. I dont know his prices as Ive never looked into it, but he is a distributer of some kind. Then you dont have to decide between either B.O.T.W. or Gunwerks, and you can keep your $ with L/R/H in some way shape or form.
Im not a Huskemaw guy, but I have a buddy who is. When he has his $ saved up thats where Im sending him.

Or you could just buy a Grey Bull Precision. Leupold VXIII LR With the same setup. You know that Leupold is reputable and so is Grey Bull. Not to mention that Grey Bull is the originator of the BOTW concept anyway.

Understand that my dislike for the scopes is the system not merely the physical scope. But I am not anymore impressed with the huskemaw glass than the NXS glass, both are good enough, but not nearly as good as some out there. My new favorite scope is the hensoldt even though I have never even fired a round down the rifle it is mounted on since the scope has been mounted. The glass is as good the zeiss victory and the internals are supposed to be as tough as the nxs.

I live in MS and always shoot my rifles whenever I get to whatever state I am hunting in.....and not just at 100 yards. I try to confirm my x-bal data to at least 1 K. There have been several times that had I just confirmed my 100 yard zero I would have been a couple MOA off at long range. I usually am able to manipulate the input in exbal and get things working very well within a few minutes and with just a couple shots. You cannot do that with a custom turrent.

For quick shots I prefer to print out a drop chart to be used only for taking quick shots in conjunction with my reticule, otherwise I always prefer to dial. Sometimes my drop charts work great other times I have to rely solely on exbal basicaly ruling out the quick shot. I just feel better being able to generate the data in the field.

I know a guy who sent off his weatherby to have it accurized, have a load worked up, and have a huskemaw installed. When he got it back he could not wait to come shoot on my range. He was sorely disapointed when he could not even ring my 800 yard steel. I have never taken a chrongraph with me on an out of state hunt but based on diffences in actual drops I would guess a load can lose or gain at least 150 fps just by traveling a days ride. How are you going to compensate for these changes with a laser engraved dial?

eddybo, you make some good points and a good question. I think this is the reason you get 2 turrets for the Huskemaw as I understand it. I don't know enough about it yet or different elevations, etc.

But the guys who are pro custom lasered dials argue that while you are busy doing calculations in the field, they're dialing in and killing the animal. That said, the dial better be perfect. So, I do like the thought of having a dial that is good to go on a rifle without the use of calculations in the field. But I also have the least amount of faith in that system as well.

For example: Say I get a decked out rifle with a Huskemaw and custom turrets and I burn out the barrel in 3 seasons with lots of play time during the summers.

What happens with that custom turret when I have to install a new barrel and possibly/likely change the load?

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts