What custom receiver for Edge?

Discussion in 'Gunsmithing' started by cinch, Aug 12, 2009.

1. cinch

cinch Well-Known Member

I am planning on building an Edge soon and have started to gather parts. I don't have a receiver to build on and I think I might go with a custom. What custom receivers would work for this build? I want it to be a 700 footprint, repeater, with extended mag box. I don't need bells and whistles, just something usable for a hunting/ rock busting application. Thanks for your input, Cinch

2. NesikaChad

NesikaChad Well-Known Member

Nesika Bay Precision is back online again. They've just received a large inventory of materials. 60 day lead time on delivery.

Nesika - Manufacturer of World Class Bolt Actions and Rifles - Offical Site

Good luck.

Chad

3. catch-34

catch-34 Well-Known Member

Depending on your price range that you are looking in Stiller Tac 300 is a really good action that runs a bit less $ than the nesika

4. Joel Russo

Joel Russo Official LRH Sponsor

+1
    The TAC 300 is a good value for the money.

5. kfrye

kfrye Well-Known Member

I have read good things about the Surgeon Actions. From their site, you can get one with all of the 'smith work done, including the M16 style extractor. They do use a 700 firing assembly which may or may not be some guys cup of tea.

6. cinch

cinch Well-Known Member

Man, there's some nice looking stuff out there. It's hard to pick one without really handling one.

7. kfrye

kfrye Well-Known Member

Maybe Shawn will weigh in here on why he chooses to true-up the Rem actions versus using one of the 'hybrid' versions that are based off of the 700 but are machined with better materials with tighter tolerances. I have been kicking around having something like this done too on an Edge.

8. cinch

cinch Well-Known Member

That's what I am faced with. I always heard by the time you buy a Remington and have it trued, you could have bought a custom and be better off. Not to mention Sako extractor, extended magazine box, bolt fluting, and custom bolt knob.

9. Coyboy

Coyboy Well-Known Member

Surgeon is making a 700 clone called the RLR, it has the one piece bolt same as their high end actions, but comes with a double pinned lug instead of an integral lug. The magnum bolt face comes with a m-16 extractor, and they make picitiny rails that attatch with 8-36 screws and 2 dowel pins. The price is just a tad over $800. I have 7 in stock and will be building my next personal gun on one.