How to know it is Spring in Cody, Wyoming

Sounds more like an ad to dissuade people from moving to Cody. I've lived there. Cody is no different than any other mountain town in Wyoming. Fact is, most of Wyoming has gotten progressively more expensive in recent years. Insurance and property taxes are high everywhere in this state. If you're interested in moving there, go check it out. Personally I'd take Sheridan over Cody. More amenities and far less wind…
You are absolutely right about it being like most mountain towns in the state. The same things apply. It's generally a long way to anywhere.

Sheridan is gorgeous for sure. And does have more amenities, like an Interstate highway.

There are many beautiful places that are great to visit in North America. Living there is a completely different story. The mountains are paradise to me in certain times of the year. A wise man told me not to buy a home until you have visited for an extended time during the heart of winter. I also love to visit many other places (California, Colorado, and Canada), but could not live in their political environment. There always seems to be a heavy price to be paid for living in temporary paradise.

I live near Cody and one of our neighbors listed their home for more than they thought it was worth. A retired California couple looked at it and immediately made a full price offer. At the closing, the buyer lady asked the agents where the Target store was and they told her it was 90 miles away in Billings, MT. But, that Cody has a Walmart. The buyer lady gasped and informed them she didn't go to Walmart. After one winter, that home is for sale again...

I live near Cody and one of our neighbors listed their home for more than they thought it was worth. A retired California couple looked at it and immediately made a full price offer. At the closing, the buyer lady asked the agents where the Target store was and they told her it was 90 miles away in Billings, MT. But, that Cody has a Walmart. The buyer lady gasped and informed them she didn't go to Walmart. After one winter, that home is for sale again...
That reminded me of a frontier county south of us that is about half the size of Rhode Island but only has 4,000 or so people for the entire county. Beautiful 14er mtn range, large valley and a paradise to get away from everyone. A retired couple from Phoenix, AZ came up one summer and purchased a nice piece of land and home, and after a short time, they came by the office discussing the very limited services in the area and wanted to know if there was a Level I or any hospital in the area. Seems before moving, her husband had a chronic heart condition, and they were concerned. I informed them it was 60 miles away down the mountain winding road that sometimes was not passable during winter storms, which could be often.

We see numerous people like this who move into very rural/frontier areas and have not thought through their decisions.

Sounds more like an ad to dissuade people from moving to Cody. I've lived there. Cody is no different than any other mountain town in Wyoming. Fact is, most of Wyoming has gotten progressively more expensive in recent years. Insurance and property taxes are high everywhere in this state. If you're interested in moving there, go check it out. Personally I'd take Sheridan over Cody. More amenities and far less wind…

Heck yeah, 3 feet of snow and -30F in the Winter, Grizzly bears and rattlesnakes in the Summer- you'd be crazy to move here! :)

mbmtb, you under emphasized some of the positive features.

Wind (frequently 60mph), cold (down close to -50F the last few winters), grizzlies (on every western mountain range), 100+ miles for good shopping (and no Costco in the state!), rattlesnakes and scorpions, clouds of mosquitos come July, snow drifts as high as houses, constantly closed roads due to blizzards and/or winds that roll tractor trailers. And then there are the spring floods. EV chargers are not close enough together for you to get all the way across the state. Besides that where else can you go a half hour from town for a short meeting, and because a ground blizzard sprang up, causing a whiteout and closing a pass road, you have to drive an extra 250 miles to detour back home that afternoon!?

L2land, with the above examples, maybe you can improve your sales pitch.

Wind (frequently 60mph), cold (down close to -50F the last few winters), grizzlies (on every western mountain range), 100+ miles for good shopping (and no Costco in the state!), rattlesnakes and scorpions, clouds of mosquitos come July, snow drifts as high as houses, constantly closed roads due to blizzards and/or winds that roll tractor trailers. And then there are the spring floods. EV chargers are not close enough together for you to get all the way across the state. Besides that where else can you go a half hour from town for a short meeting, and because a ground blizzard sprang up, causing a whiteout and closing a pass road, you have to drive an extra 250 miles to detour back home that afternoon!?

Sounds like we're neighbors. 🤠

I saw they took a grizzly out of the Bighorns recently.
They are saying it wandered across the basin.
Could be, but 10-15 years ago a co-worker and his out-of-state friend found Grizzly tracks while fishing the Tongue.
They called G&F, who replied "There are no Grizzlies on the Big Horns."
To which the coworkers friend replied "I am a Wildlife Biologist in Alaska. I believe I can identify a Grizzly track."

and let me guess.....the kids have to walk to school n its up hill going and coming... sounds like my kind of place..almost like Florida for weather..JK but I did grow up in upstate New York where we got 150 to 200 inches of snow and I did enjoy that as a kid

Recent Posts