Spring Bear is Coming!

Tikkamike

Anyone else ready to start gathering up bait and other supplies for the spring bear season? I know its a couple months off but I cant wait. Anyone trying anything new this year?

I'm heading back up to central Alberta the last week of May for a spot and stalk hunt. Killed my first bear up there last fall with my 8mm Rem Mag. This time I'm taking my bow and my rifle. I really hope to take a bear by spot and stalk with my bow.

Time change always feels like spring. We start watching the snow come off the ski lift, and think about planting gardens and spring bear when it's off. Mild winter on the flats. I might buy my first Idaho license in a couple of decade, if life continues uninterrupted.

Mostly this time of year is for looking into changes to our non resident tag program. Some of our hard draws have enough points to be at the lower edge of possible.

The local Bighorn Show is this week, and is kind of a rite of spring for us. Get out and see folks we haven't seen for awhile. Who knows BC or Alaskan bear could make me an offer I can't refuse.

Or like an old bear maybe I'll just lay in the sun at the mouth of the den and daydream about it some more.

My partners cabin fever project is trying to figure a DIY, coastal Alaska spring hunt 2-3 years out. My contribution so far has been "bigger boat".

My buddy and I bought a commercial type popcorn popper so we have plenty of popcorn for bait. I think he already popped 50lbs or so but I think we will try some molasses and oats this year too for the bottom of the barrel. We usually use dog food and syrup.

How much snow is left in your spot Mike? I was up the alkali rd out of hyattville 3 weeks ago and the snow at the forest boundry is deeper than I have ever seen. Had fun with my tracks though and saw 19 bulls and all but one still had horns. I am feeling the urge to take the tracks out again on Saturday.

I haven't even attempted to go up yet. I know a few weeks ago a buddy said he couldn't even get to the Forrest hopefully this warm weather melts off a bunch of snow... If not I'll have to get my dads tracked canam out.

We got our bait out on Monday. It's only about 5000' elevation but we still had to bust through some pretty deep snow on the north slope to get there. It's been raining pretty good below about 6000-6500' here so that snow will probably be gone but we are getting more up high. As of a week ago we had nearly 6' of snow still on one of the summits that is about 7500'.

I haven't even attempted to go up yet. I know a few weeks ago a buddy said he couldn't even get to the Forrest hopefully this warm weather melts off a bunch of snow... If not I'll have to get my dads tracked canam out.

My buddy bought a tracked Can Am 1000 a couple of months ago, it sure has a lot of power, but my honda doesn't get stuck as much.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.