New 338 Edge will not fire. What now?

He is in Austrailia. Maybe they have different rules on shipping firearms that we do in the US. Or maybe he wants it fixed as quickly as possible. A FTF with the 'smith would be worthwhile, also.

Why would you drive the rifle there - just ship it. I just shipped a rifle out the other day, USPS. It cost about $15 with Delivery Confirmation. Insurance is extra if you want it.

Seven hours each way - no way!

At this point I would have the smith at least come pick up the rifle and fix it or refund your
money and send it somewhere else to get fixed. After all he should have checked it and you
should not have to deal with this problem.

I am afraid that I would not let him do any more work on it if it were mine. But he should
defray all cost to make it right.

In addition to the head space problem the shoulder of the chamber looks rough.

J E CUSTOM

Why not just get a box of cream of wheat and make yourself up 99 more just like this one? You will need to neck up and create a false shoulder for case forming. That looks like it will hold at least 10 more grains than any regular Edge. Might be looking at 3000fps with the 300 grain matchking using the newly born Super Edge+.

Well I am off to visit the gun smith today to get my rifle fixed. I just have to talk to this guy and see what went wrong and how he is going to fix it. I will not be comming back until it is fixed and I am happy with it.

I will give a report when I get back and have fired the thing again.

It has been a bad week for me. First up, I lost a big stag wounded, then I had two funerals, then when I picked up my new rfile, it was a dud.

Man I hope next week is better.....................

Hope it all works out for you topshot, who made the barrel if you dont mind me asking, and did they cut the chamber or the gunsmith?. Good luck with it this time around.

OK, Thanks for you help and advice with this rifle. I sure needed it!

I drove 1150Km round trip up to the gun smith. When I got there he had too totally redo the job on the barrel again. It turned out that he had made a 0.100" error in reading a micrometer while machining the barrel chamber etc.
To fix it, he rechambered it and extended the tenon threads and pushed the shoulder for the recoil lug back etc. Basically the whole job was done again. The barrel was machined so as the brake and barrel flutes were indexed back where they were suppose to be. Hopefully this does not effect the bedding job as he did not redo this.

While he was at it, I got him to set up the lands so that a 300 grain SMK would be seated way out.

I tried it out today. I don't know how but it seems to show some promise as being an accurate rifle. I think the excellent 30" Lilja barrel that I selected for the rifle is playing a big part.
I fired 5 shots with mild loads of 88grains of H1000 to break the barrel in, cleaning between each shot. I got the rifle scope zeroed up at 58 yards in my back yard with these five shots. I only had one shot left so I worked out the dope for my 440 yard gong and let rip. So on the sixth shot I had a solid hit on my 440 yard gong just two inches left of center.
Tomorrow I will increase the charge weight in one grain increments and see what this baby will do.

mypic31.jpg

Stuff happens, but I still don't know how a .100" error gets by. Too many chances to catch headspace errors.

I know you're glad to get back to shooting and maybe some of the bad taste will go away. You're right about the Lilja barrel. It will give you a headstart.

Good looking rifle!

Good luck and good hunting, Tom

The plus .100" version neck looks a little short but not that much different than the 300 Win Mag case that is popular with the 1000 yard shooters. Cases formed by necking up oversize and then down to create a false shoulder would be perfectly safe. I wonder the capabilities of such a beast. Where is Kirby or Shawn when I need them?

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.