What are the advantages of a .25-06?

dbrow - How's the wallop in that .444? I have not shot one. I remember thinking that is a saddle gun with a lever action, and thus shouldn't be too bad on recoil...but I don't recall seeing any out here, so my SWAG may be way off. I will have to look that one up.

The 444 isn't bad. My 8 1/2 lb 458 Win Mag is lively but not bad. . It is kindof punishing from prone. But still doable. . It does help put things recoil related into perspective. . My 8.25 lb Lott.in the CZ550. Was punishing after about the 12 th round with 500 gr bullets at 2300 fps.

They make my 6.5 Creed a joy to shoot. .

Well my son had mounted a scope on the rifle but did not shoot it to tune it in. It took me 20 shots to get it on the mark, where I want it, 1" high at 100yards. I was very relieved to put that baby back in the case and go home to ice my shoulder! This was in warm weather and I was wearing a t shirt. It beat me up pretty good.

Just out of curiosity, and I know this is the wrong thread .

What bullet were u shooting in the triple 4 . The 300 gr Speer plated bullet is very good in that rifle. At 2000-2100 fps it is a lot better than the 240 gr bullet. And very meat friendly. Makes a great deer load too.

I just bought a Remington 700 in 25-06 in November after my old .308 gave up the ghost . The 25-06 loves these black tali on Kodiak.

I have a Sendero SFII with a 6-24x50 pst on it. I shoot the 115 gr bergers and it is a tackdriver! I have several different calibers - 300 rum, 7mm wsm, 270 wsm etc. and my 25-06 is by far my favorite. I shoot everything from rockchucks to elk with it. Yes, elk. I shot a nice bull elk a couple years ago with it - my 300 rum got left behind in the truck that day. I took me a little time with load development, but the gun shoots 1" groups at 200 yards all day. It is my go to gun for daytime coyote hunting, and really every kind of hunting apparently. Its kind of a heavy SOB and sometimes I feel a little bad for my horse who has to lug it around on the deer and elk hunts, but I get over that pretty quick. Recoil is comparable to my kids 243 (its a little lighter gun). Hits like a lightning bolt. Only downside I can think of is the lack of super high BC bullets. I've killed rockchucks out to 746 yards.

Last edited:
I've hunted with an old A-bolt 25-06 for years and killed a slew of deer.
Been using ammo from Underwood a 110 grain Accubond. Never had any problems
out to 350 yards or so with the right circumstances. It drops them and recoil
is pretty mild. I think with some practice it should work just fine for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.