What are the basics for setting up a stock?

Silvertp

Just got my first HS stock with the alum bedding block. Are they really a "drop in and shoot"?

Are there basic tweeks that will provide an even more stable home for my action / barrel? I'd like to know what folks recommend.

Also, regarding wooden or synthetic stocks without an alum bedding block. I typically glass bed the action and first few inches of the barrel and free float the rest of the barrel. Now Im thinking about pillar bedding in lieu of glass bedding. Does your experience show pillar bedding, glass bedding, or both to be a more stable system?

What do you folks recommend for a stable long range platform. Looking forward to seeing if there is any consensus on preparing a stock.

Silvertp

It depends on your expectations. The stock is just one component in the shooting system.

If everything else about the rifle is factory, then (1) drop it in and torque it down evenly, (2) check for clearance/fit and barrel floated, and (3) shoot. If the performance meets your expectations, then you're basically done.

The next step up would be to bed the action and first inch or two of the barrel to fill the voids between the action and bedding block.

Otherwise, you're really getting into action blueprinting, precision machined/pinned recoil lug, etc.

The main distinction relative to stocks without the aluminum block is to ensure that pillars or support goes all the way through such that the stock can't compress or allow the torque to change in the action screws over time and with varying environmental conditions.

Marine-Tex is my preference for bedding. But, many have success with other materials.

-- richard

Richard, thanks for the reply. You brought up an aspect that I haven't given much thought, and that is torquing the action screws. Ive always used a "meat-hook" torque wrench and until recently I didn't know that some folks have very precise torque settings for their actions screws.

Do folks find it necessary to torque action screws to see where their gun shoots the best? Or maybe better said, do these custom built high end long range rifles come with a torque setting?

Guess I'd be real interested in how many folks actually torque their screws to some specification...and is there a general torque setting to start out with a new rifle?

Silvertp

No doubt there are lots of opinions on torque.

Hopefully someone can jump in here with a recommendation. Otherwise, this has been discussed in many threads here.

I think the range will be fairly broad.

I have to admit that I haven't used a torque wrench in the past. But, I will be doing so going forward.

I think you would likely find that each rifle may have a slightly different ideal setting. But, the most important thing might be that they are evenly torqued and if you have it shooting well and remove/replace the stock, you would want to get it right back to where it was for consistency.

Hope this helps,
Richard

Most composite recommend up to 40-60 inch lbs. I start at 35 and see how it shoots, adjusting up if needed. Nice to have wrench for scope rings,rings to base. my custom is bed and pillar. My wood stocks I BED and floated.

Thanks for the info guys. Sounds like I need to be looking into a torque driver with the inch/pounds scale. Ive been wanting one for a while now as I can see a lot of use for one.

I just glassed two stocks this morning....one is a 10/22 and the other is a Ruger 77, tang safety.

Cheers!
Silvertp

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.