Setting Up a 100-600 yds rifle

Discussion in 'The Basics, Starting Out' started by kherzfeldt, Feb 22, 2013.

1. kherzfeldt

kherzfeldt New Member

New Winchester 300 WSM
    Looking at the Trijicon 5 x 20 x 50
    Mil Dot, Green
    Berger 180 , High balistic C, 2950 fps

What bases, ring combo do you recommend and will I require shims,

I will be shooting 100- 600 most of the time but may wish to extend out to 1000 if possibe with this package. Thanks KLH

2. AH3682

AH3682 Well-Known Member

Hey,

Have you taken a look at Vortex. I hear they are nice. Also, Leupold has some solid-looking rings, and they work well for long range.

3. kherzfeldt

kherzfeldt New Member

Just getting started. Thanks for the help.

4. JeffP40

JeffP40 Well-Known Member

The vortex 30mm should have plenty of elevation. I have their meduim priced rings, so far, so good.

5. SidecarFlip

SidecarFlip Well-Known Member

I hate to bad mouth Trigicon in as much as they are a Michigan company not too far from where I live but, there are better, less expensive scopes out there.

I'm going to go with the Vortex Viper PST in 4-16 SFP MOA., about 1/2 the price of the Tridge and as good if not better optically. I have 4 at last count.

Personally, I think all Trigicons' in any variety are overpriced. You see, they are a big government supplier of optics and ranging systems so as far as they are concerned, everyone has deep pockets (like the government) and thats not true.

I use Warne or Talley rings on every rifle but thats personal preference. Just be sure to lap them and evenly torque the bases and ring halves with a dab of blue threadlocker on each fastener.

6. JeffP40

JeffP40 Well-Known Member

Don not use locktite on the rings. Bases yes, you don't want them coming loose. The rings will be fine and need a lot less torque than most people think.

7. johnnyk

johnnyk Well-Known Member

I use the Leupold STD Long Range base (15MOA) with Burris Signatur STD rings with inserts. Additionally, if using a scope w/1" tube, I get the insert kit to add the +/- .020" inserts. These will add another 20MOA to your set up.
    I have this on a Remington Sendero in .25-06 Remington, a Savage 112 in 6.5-284 Norma and a Winchester SA 70 HVB in .243 Winchester. Good solid setup with zero issues. Natural alignment with no marring (NO lapping required). Just not "tacti-cool". :{

8. D.ID

D.ID Well-Known Member

True to the conventional wisdom. But has let me down before so I bed and bond bases, use locktight on EVERYTHIING: action screws, bases, rings, acd, aci ,,,,,,,,everything. Yes it is overkill but it does not hurt a thing and gives me piece of mind.