.243 or .25-06?

W.TX-hunter21

I need a versitile gun for both varmint and deer size game. I wont be taking insane long shot's maybe out to 300yd's max. I need something I can through in the truck and be somewhat cheap on ammo. Which would be the best out of the two. I would greatly apprieciate all comments.

gun)
I need a versitile gun for both varmint and deer size game. I wont be taking insane long shot's maybe out to 300yd's max. I need something I can through in the truck and be somewhat cheap on ammo. Which would be the best out of the two. I would greatly apprieciate all comments.
Well I've never shot the 25/06 I have heard all sorts of different remarks about them. Some good ,some bad.
I do have a .243 Rem. 700 which I really enjoy. I do reload for it and the rounds cost very little. What factory ammo cost up here in Canada I could not tell you as I have not bought factory rounds for the rifle. It would probably blow your mind for what we pay for shooting supplies up here!
The rifle is a great gun for shooting 100- 300 yards and farther if needed.
Good for deer and varmits. For hunting I use 100 grain slugs ( bullets) and smaller for varmits.

first choice would be a remington 700 heavy barrel .243, second would be a sendero 25-06

I was leaning towards the .243, untill a buddy of mine bought a 700 25-06. He says its just awsome,He will be going to the range this weekend maybe I will tag along to see what this thing is all about, Im still leaning towards the .243. Great info and coments, please continue.

Ive owned both at one time or another, and I am going to buy another 243, both kill varmints and whitetails well, I like the 243 a little better than the 25 cause I can get better bullets for the 243(higher bc bullets). Ive killed whitetails with both aswell, and they both do better than they should, if you are stuck buying factory rounds, the 243 shells at least around here are cheaper than the 25/06. I say the 243!

Me and my brother were stuck in your situation for deer and varmints and I went with a Remington 700 243 win and my brother is trying to get a 25-06. I am incredibly happy with my choice. It's cheaper, more bullet options. I also have a 7mm rem mag so I wanted something more for varmints and a back up deer rifle.

I currently own both; my .243 is a Win70 HVB and my .25-06 is a Rem 700 Sendero SF. I like both of them and either will do what you're asking.
There is more of a 6mm bullet selection but for me that wasn't a selling point. I have tried the lighter, faster pills like the 65gn V-Max and their effects on small critters is not for the weak stomach. Accuracy for me never got better than .4" @ 100yds during load development. My rifle seems to shoot the 85-95gn range tighter than the rest, so that is the area of bullets that I concentrate on. I've easily taken varmints to 600yds with these and they defy the wind a little better. I haven't taken deer with this rifle (yet) but fully intend to try it and the new Bergers (87gn VLD Hunitng) before the Georgia season goes out.
The .25-06 will push 100gn bullets 2-300fps faster than the little .243. The effect on 100-150lb whitetails is the Thor of Hammer (Bang-Flop). I have taken many deer with the .25-06 with various bullets, mostly from 100-115gn. The Ballistic Tip's, AccuBond, TSX and Bergers are superbly accurate and very lethal.
In a factory rifle, I would go with the .25-06. It can do everything the .243 can and will sling 115gn Berger's with standard factory twist. Glad I don't have to choose though, I like them both. JohnnyK

I have owned both for some 40 years. As a matter of fact I currently own two of each. Both rounds bring down deer at respectable ranges and are great on varmints, but in my experience for rabbits etc. the .243 with it's bullet range is the most devastating.

If I could only own one of them it would be the .243.

Larger bullet selection, uses much less powder to get the same job done.

Merry Christmas!!

Thanks for all the input. I will still be doing a little research here and there before I make my final decision, but Im about 75% sure Im going with the .243. But who knows I might change my mind Friday at the range. I thank all of you for the inputs and coments. Ya'll have a great Christmas!

i have them both also and my go to gun is the 06. hits deer like a sledge hammer and i load the 85gr nosler for little critters and its a lazer. but my 243 has killed everything in this part of the country without hesitation. both have unlimited factory loadings and both are easy to load for. As a one gunner go with the 06 because whatever the 243 will do the 06 will do a little better and bigger.

I'd go with the .243 ( IMHO). You can get a good 'truck gun' in .243 for 250.00 or less and it'll do all you need to 300y( and then some) on deer or varmints. Good luck on your choice.

I shoot a 25-06, my son shoots a 243. We've both taken 2 to 4 deer every year for quite a few years now. I shoot a 100 grn Barnes TSX, he shoots an 85 grn Barnes TSX. They both shoot around 3200-3300'/sec with said loads. I've also loaded the 25-06 with 85grn Ballistic Tips @ around 3600'/sec for varmints and coyotes.

I personally like the 25-06 better since I handload, it's more versatle.

If you're planning on shooting Factory Ammo, the 243 will give you alot better ammo selection......more brands and bullet weights available in .243. And, it will do the job you mentioned out to the distances you mentioned quite nicely.
More guns and varieties are available for the 243 also.

I cut my teeth on a 6mm rem. and low drag bullets are more available in 6mm, but it's harder to find than either of the above, and still falls short of the 25-06 on heavy bullet velocity. However, maybe a 6mm AI or (better yet) a 6-06 Improved with a fast twist would be something to look at if you want to go full custom and reach out to the 500 or even 600 mark on deer. Still low recoil/cost and fun to shoot.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts