25-06 Ackley Imp or 280 Ackley Imp?

Skip,

My rifle has a 27" Shilen barrel. I use a surplus powder designated as WC852, but it may not be easily available where you are.

It is a bit slower than H450, about the same as Re22. I like it because it flows so easily through the measure and no trouble getting it into a 25 cal neck.

Here's a couple of threads that might help you. Look for the posts by Brian Winzor. He gets 3550 fps out of 24" barrels in his two 25-06 Ackley Imps, and he's down your way.

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...=true#Post12523

http://longrangehunting.com/ubbthreads/s...=true#Post25368

Just get some H4831 SC or Re22 and start workin' up CAREFULLY. You'll get there. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

........and keep us posted on how you make out!

Ted

Skip,

I concur with Why not's advice about trying AR2213sc(H4831sc) and Reloader 22 with the 100 grain bullet.

I would be extremely surprised if you could find surplus WC 852 here in Oz. The Alliant range is now available here,and the importers are advertising in the latest Shooters Journal, so you could contact them regarding sourcing some Reloader 22 (and Reloader 25 if you want to use the 115/120 grain or heavier bullets.

Also, as Why not suggests work up carefully with each powder and focus on pressure rather than trying to specifically achieve 3,700 fps. In my first 25/06AI, I achieved 3650 - 3700 fps with the 24 inch barrel, but discovered that cases only lasted 3 - 4 shots before primer pockets loosened. In rifle 2, which also has a 24 inch barrel, I have found that at about 3,550 fps with the appropriate powders, I get between 7 - 10 reloads for each case.

Estimating velocities in a different rifle is near impossible, as chamber dimensions and other variables come into play.

However, if your load of 60 grains AR 2213sc with the Nosler 85BT was fired in my rifle, it would be a vary mild load and velocity would be way down. The load of 62.0 grains/AR 2213sc was maximum in my rifle with the 100 grain BT, and the load of 60.0 grains produced 3344 fps. So it would probably take at least 64.0 grains of AR 2213sc to get near maximum with the 85 grain bullet, and my case only takes about 63.5 grains of that powder to fill to the base of the neck.

Personally if I was going to use the 85 grain bullet, I would use a faster burning powder than AR2213sc if you are trying to get maximum velocity. I suggest AR 2209(H4350) or Reloader 19 as ones to try.

It may be of interest to you, but last week I tested Richard Graves 130 and 142 grain Wildcat bullets. I found that the 130 grain bonded core produced very good accuracy (best group .185) and velocities up to 3,150 fps. The 142 grain ULD failed to stabilise, and produced velocities up to 3,050 fps. Good luck, Brian.

Yeah I was told that it was not a speedy load, I was told it would be going about 3500fps?Well it is very accurate I must say, that would be the good thing about it, click on the thumbnails to enlarge the pictures:

That group was shot on the weekend useing my 25-06 AI with the load mentioned, I had also just purchased a new scope for the rifle that same weekend, it is a Schmidt & Bender 2.5-10X56 Precision hunter and it is awesome! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif.
It is a five shot group, shot at 100m /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif.
The rifle has done better with a larger power scope on it but still its pretty good!
Keep it up fellas,

skip /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.