Went shooting again, watcha think???

shortpants

I recently posted in another thread about shooting my factory .300 WSM at 800 yds. I was shooting factory ammo (HSM 185 VLD's and HSM 178 AMAX's). I'm trying to decide between the 2 which one I'm going to order more of. They both shot around 1moa at 800yds. Well I just got back from doing some more testing. Before I could use the targets for shooting at I first had to use them for shelter to slleep under.

photo_1.jpg

I intended on shooting 400, 600, 800, and 1000yds but due to the terrain it ended up being 385, 581, 779, and 976yds. So much for my first 1000yd group. Oh well close enough for now. I started with the 178's out of a clean/cold bore.

photo_12.jpg

It says 400 but it was 385. Next was the 185's at 385yds. they are the numbered holes 1,2,&3.

photo_2.jpg

I then continued on with the 185's at 581...

photo_3.jpg

185's at 779...

photo_4.jpg

and 185's at 976...

5.jpg

The one in the black and the two to the right are the 185's. All in all I was pretty impressed but that last group got under my skin a little. I was determined to go right back to 976yds again but this time with the 178's.

Stay tuned, more to come...

Now determined to improve on that last group, here are the 178's at 976yds.

4.jpg

What can I say accidents happen!:)

Continuing on here are 178's at 779yds. ( circled holes )

3.jpg

And finally 178's at 581yds.

2.jpg

There was a slight pick up in wind (2-3mph) for the 178's. I held no wind for all shots. Pressure 24.34, Temp 80*, Hum. 50% and no angle. Here's a couple of pics of my setup. Best I could do, I know, I know Jeff rear rest is questionable on the bedroll and boxes but like i said best I could do. Soil was damp which made the bipod solid up front.

photo_5.jpg1.jpg

So watcha think???

A 4.5 inch group at 976 yards from factory ammo and a factory gun. Thats under 1/2 moa. Thats some impressive shooting. I would order more of the A-Max.

Jason, Thats pretty good results there. Is it my imagination or does the accuracy of the AMAX outshine the 185? IMHO the 178 AMAX is one of the most accurate 30 cal bullets that has ever been available is the 178 AMAX. The BC is not sexy but the sugical capabilities are awesome. I wish the AMAX didnt foul up my 6.5 like they do but I am having such stellar results with the Bergers (which leave virtually NO copper fouling in my barrel) that it is of no real concern. My second best 1000 yard groups was with the 178 and my best was with the 155 AMAX. My best 100 yard 3 shot group, best 100 yard 5 shot group and best 1000 yard groups have all been with the AMAX. Maybe thats because I have shot alot of AMAX's but there is a reason I have shot so many. That is that they always seem to find the mark. While I have had great results with Sierra bullets, the AMAX just seems to deliver amazing accuracy for me.

So I am asuming that the antelope tag is yours? What unit? Have you seen anything nice?

Keep up the practice and the good shooting.

Wow Great shooting!! I would have never thought that factory ammo and rifle would shoot like that . I wouldnt buy a custom you may be dissapointed:cool:.
I really enjoyed the pics . Looks like you can shoot as far as you desire.
was it suppose to rain ? Is that why you used the targets ? I would of thought you could sleep out under the stars just asking ...

Yup, yur heading rapidly in the right direction.

Very good shootin' though the rear rest is worthy of a comment.:)

You shooting spot is a tuff one when the bipod has to be that high. But having said that, you have adapted to the situation quite well and the animal you select as a target is a good as in the freezer.:) Happy eatin' :)

Thanks guys! Shooting well never gets old and its very addicting! According to the calculator the VLD's have a maximum effective range of 1050yds. The AMAX's top out at 975. For the intended purpose of this rifle/bullet combo I think 975yds will do just fine. The VLD's are not proving accurate enough to reach their potential anyway. The intended purpose is Coues Deer/Antelope for maximum range and I'll cut the maximum range down a bit for the bigger Mule Deer. Elk sized game is NOT in the equation.

Michael:
My experience with the AMAX's is exactly what you see here, not much. So far I'm impressed! You and I spoke about them in the past and I trust your results. It is interesting you mentioned fouling. I had more rounds down the tube prior to this last cleaning than I ever have (70ish). Normally I have lots of lead and a little copper. This time I had very little lead but lots of copper. Looks like I'm in for lots of Sweets treatments.
The Antelope tag is not mine. I'm guiding an archery 10 hunt. Overall I'm very disappointed with Antelope numbers up there but I've been able to locate a few nice bucks.

Bigbuck:
I sure hope I'm not disappointed with my custom but your right, this sets my expectations pretty high. As far as my redneck shelter goes I slept under the stars the night before and woke up soked from dew. It rains almost every day up there right now. Keep up the good shooting!

Roy:
I knew I'd get a comment on the rear rest, thanks for not beating me up too bad. As far as the hieght of the bipod goes I just recently put this 9-13 on there. For years I've had a 13-27 on there to cover sitting shots so I'm very used to shooting prone at 13. Actually with this brake on there it is not enjoyable to shoot it any lower. My next brake will be side ported not all the way around. I'm going to order a Ultrec shooting tripod for sitting/standing shots.

Thanks guys! Shooting well never gets old and its very addicting! According to the calculator the VLD's have a maximum effective range of 1050yds. The AMAX's top out at 975. For the intended purpose of this rifle/bullet combo I think 975yds will do just fine. The VLD's are not proving accurate enough to reach their potential anyway. The intended purpose is Coues Deer/Antelope for maximum range and I'll cut the maximum range down a bit for the bigger Mule Deer. Elk sized game is NOT in the equation.

Michael:
My experience with the AMAX's is exactly what you see here, not much. So far I'm impressed! You and I spoke about them in the past and I trust your results. It is interesting you mentioned fouling. I had more rounds down the tube prior to this last cleaning than I ever have (70ish). Normally I have lots of lead and a little copper. This time I had very little lead but lots of copper. Looks like I'm in for lots of Sweets treatments.
The Antelope tag is not mine. I'm guiding an archery 10 hunt. Overall I'm very disappointed with Antelope numbers up there but I've been able to locate a few nice bucks.

Bigbuck:
I sure hope I'm not disappointed with my custom but your right, this sets my expectations pretty high. As far as my redneck shelter goes I slept under the stars the night before and woke up soked from dew. It rains almost every day up there right now. Keep up the good shooting!

Roy:
I knew I'd get a comment on the rear rest, thanks for not beating me up too bad. As far as the hieght of the bipod goes I just recently put this 9-13 on there. For years I've had a 13-27 on there to cover sitting shots so I'm very used to shooting prone at 13. Actually with this brake on there it is not enjoyable to shoot it any lower. My next brake will be side ported not all the way around. I'm going to order a Ultrec shooting tripod for sitting/standing shots.
What? No special message for me?!? Haha JK.
I am going shooting sometime this week at 400, 600, 800, and 1000 yards with a 338 Lapua for drops and I am hoping to shoot 1 MOA or better at each distance but I don't if that will be the case or not.:rolleyes:
Anyway nice shooting.:)

I hope it goes better too.:rolleyes: with the help of Broz we figured out the problem but I will still bring a cleaning rod just incase and where we are shooting this time is closer to our house.

I know Jeff rear rest is questionable on the bedroll and boxes but like i said best I could do. Soil was damp which made the bipod solid up front.

So watcha think???

:D:D I was looking at that and then read this. Funny! You read my mind. :)

In general I say that is pretty darn good with a factory set up. Not to mention shooting from scaffolding...:D You should be very pleased.

I think if you get the bipod lower and a solid rear you will see then tighten up more. But I understand that is not easy to do sometimes.

Also what scope is that and what reticle? The reticle looks large in the subtensions to me. Or was it just cranked down on power for the pic?

You are doing it man!! I am very happy for you.

Thanks for sharing your results!

Jeff

Broz has been a huge asset for me! It is amazing how many people he has helped. Thankyou Jeff for all your wisdom!

:D:D I was looking at that and then read this. Funny! You read my mind. :)

In general I say that is pretty darn good with a factory set up. Not to mention shooting from scaffolding...:D You should be very pleased.

I think if you get the bipod lower and a solid rear you will see then tighten up more. But I understand that is not easy to do sometimes.

Also what scope is that and what reticle? The reticle looks large in the subtensions to me. Or was it just cranked down on power for the pic?

You are doing it man!! I am very happy for you.

Thanks for sharing your results!

Jeff

Broz has been a huge asset for me! It is amazing how many people he has helped. Thankyou Jeff for all your wisdom!
Haha, looks like you too were typing at the same time.

We were typing at the same time there. Thanks for the words of wisdom again. When I bought that scope it was called the Leupold VXIII LR Tac with the black ring instead of gold. I believe you can no longer find them because I see no difference between this scope and their Mark 4 but I could be wrong. I sent it off to Premier because back then they did all the custom reticles for Leupold. That is Premier's Gen II reticle. I did not know at the time how important having MOA/MOA or MIL/MIL is. Not a day goes by that I don't dream of my NXS. I thought I had that all figured out till you explained your reasons for liking SFP. Im waiting to see what NightForce comes up with next. I really like that MOAR reticle but understand the subtension thing now thanks to you.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.