Weatherby 30-378 with NightForce

I dont believe I will be trying to hand load this round. I have no experience in loading, and from what I read, this one isnt for the beginners..

Looks like you have the 338-378 also....No one believes me when I tell them this gun is fun and easy to shoot...

In my experience the 30-378 really needs a much longer barrel to burn all that powder. I'm thinking the reason you are not getting much recoil is that it really is not shooting much faster than a regular 300Wby. My 300 Wby has an Accubrake and it is almost recoiless too. Yes the other is a 338-378. It does have a respectable but very managable recoil. We are getting 225's TSX's out at 3330 fps. Like most Weatherby's, it would do a lot better in a 30" barrel.

Weatherby's are no harder to load for than any other factory round. All you need is an RCBS Rock Chucker kit and a set of dies. It will pay for it's self on your third or fourth box of shells.

I had the same rifle you have. I love the Accumark, but I just couldn't afford to feed that thing (was still in school at the time). You should be able to shave about $25 off that price if you shop a little.

http://cpcartridge.com/cart2/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=1_104

I've had the Accumark in 30-378, 300 Win Mag., and a SVM in 22-250. All were good shooters, but I never was happy until I found my baby...A Jap-made Fibermark with the McMillan stock in 270WBY mag. Howa really put this baby together well and the blueing is beautiful.

Anyway, I envy that Accumark. I think one in 257WBY would be sweet. You're not going to find many MK V fans around here, so go shoot some tight groups and come back and show the nay-sayers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My dad has an accumark iin a 338-378 and it really isn't bad to shoot. I got a 338-378imp on a remington 700 with a 30in #7 and a holland on it and it moves you around but is fun to shoot.

[ QUOTE ]
I think one in 257WBY would be sweet. You're not going to find many MK V fans around here, so go shoot some tight groups and come back and show the nay-sayers. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

An Accumark in 257Wby is very sweet. So sweet I bought 2. It shoots in the .4" with stuff it hates and with light bullets it shoots so tight, you would have to shoot it yourself to believe it. I don't dare say or post those groups anymore. Once I smoke the barrels on these I want to put an SVM contour with an Accubrake on mine. My son likes his as is.

I have a friend with a 30-378 and it shoots well until we load bullets over 150gr and it build pressure vary fast with no velocity we have used a lot of different powders. BTW I have a 257 WBY MAG and it shoots vary well, totally stock it shoots .243" @ 4174fps With a 75gr V-Max. The other problem with the big 30-378 is that the brass just does not last, primer pockets get soft after just a few shots.

Both my 257Wby Accumarks love 75 grain V-Max's. I use IMR-4350 to get 3965 for velocity and my accuracy is right with what your doing. What powder are you using to get so high of velocity and how is your brass holding up? We get near 20 loads with no pressure signs and only use a Lee Collet die.

If you run the 30-378 that hard I bet the brass seems a little soft. Have you tried IMR-7828 with the 30-378. It will give good velocity. This round really needs a 30" barrel to do what it should.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.