Scope Covers for Nightforce with 56mm Objective?

Ddwarren

Hey guys,
Just got my my first Nightforce in this week. After many days of drooling on it, I realized I didnt have any scope covers to fit it. It is the 5.5X22X56 and I cant find a 56mm cover at Cabelas, Sportsmans Warehouse, or Bass Pro. Cant find them online either. I have always used the Butler Creek flip ups, but am not opposed to going with something else if it works well. Thanks for the help.
Dev

I had the Butler Creek Flip Ups on mine but it would not stay closed. It was constantly popping open. I ended up sending them back.

?? Whats wrong with the bungy one that came with the scope??
Thats what I use!
When you turn the power ring the caps are a PIA.

CAM

I have B.C. flip caps on my 58mm USO that work just fine... it was kind of hard to find a place that had them that large though. I think I ended up getting them from SWFA.

Once again, you all came through for a newbie! Thanks again for all of the help guys. I have never used the scope coats. Do they pull off easily while hiking and stalking in dense vegetation? How about moisture issues? I have tried using the "bikini" covers that I had on other scopes, but they often were pulled off when stalking in heavy brush or downed timber. I ended up with lots of snow on my lense.

A Scopecoat does not come off easily nor fast. It is made from the same kind of neoprene foam that wet suits are made from. Its chief advantages is that it is a buffer layer between the scope and any other objects and no snow is going to get into it.

A Scopecoat does not fly open unexpectedly exposing your lens to all manner of mischief. I have flip open covers for some scopes but the kindest words I can say for them is that they cost too much money to just throw away as junk but they are just an endless irritation.

A Scopecoat is not what I would recommend for actual stalking through heavy brush, but then I don't do that anyway. If I have to go though heavy brush then I forget about hunting and just get through the brush with a minimum of racket but I never expect to see an animal under those conditions.

Thanks for the info Buffalobob. I actually am not stalking, I usually hike about 2 hours from the cabin each morning to the area I hunt. Then I sit and wait for the elk and deer to move to the opposing hillside (700-1200 yards). Either way, I appreciate the info.

Hunters have faced a real challenge regarding the best solution to field-practical scope covers but the ScopeShield neoprenes, which are the only ones with the keeper loop and instant field release, solve it. Developed originally in drippy-wet Oregon, and made in Oregon and Alaska, I have never seen anything approaching them for simplicity, effectiveness, speed, and practicality. Bob Hart at rwhart.com has them, or they may be found by googling scopeshield neoprenes or scopeshield alaska.

There is a major difference between ScopeCoats and ScopeShields. ScopeShields are intended specifically for hunting use, with instant release and a unique keeper loop that keeps it from ever falling from the rifle. ScopeCoats are excellent for the rack.

Outfitters and guides definitely prefer the ScopeShields. You can try googling scopeshield alaska or scopeshield neoprenes to look at them closely.

I can get you a Butler creek objective cover that's an 56.40mm I use a butler creek on my leupold and it works great I will never have a scope without it. I only wish it was see through.

Bigbuck

These scope covers are 20.5" long and I have made them up to 24" long at the customers request.

FWIW,
Stu

MC_cover.JPG

Butler flip up caps are not applicable on the NightForce scopes. The eyepiece rotates when you change magnification which then causes the open cover to rotate and create distraction and also block the spirit level should you have one installed.
Have not found a solution to this. Using a bikini rubber cover for now.
Anyone else have a product reference to solve this issue?

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.