Choose a .300 mag or .30-.378

jsmatt

Im trying to choose between a weatherby 30-378 or a 300 mag.for hunting out west. Also thought about placing a Shepherd Scope on this gun. Any advice or comments appreciated!

[ 04-13-2004: Message edited by: frftr12 ]

[ 04-13-2004: Message edited by: frftr12 ]

Personally, I think that the practical limit for any .308 cartridge is in the 300Wby catagory, but thats just me.

You could save yourself a ton of money by shelving the 30-378 idea and buying a 300Ultra. Guns, ammo, & brass are alot cheaper. Your barrel and shoulder will last alot longer, and all you will give up is around 100 ft/sec.

If it were me, I'd buy a 300WBY and pass on the really big gorillas.
grin.gif

VH

Unless you reload or have very deep pockets the 30-378 is just too expensive to shoot, and with the short barrel you will not see that much velocity to justify burning 120gr of powder, your alot better off going with a 300win.

Brian

Got a 30-378 last year. It does burn alot of powder but sure gives the velocity and with the factory break keeps the recoil down. I don't own an 300 ulta but have heard good things about that rifle. I'm playing with a custom 300wsm now to use this coming year for elk and deer. At one time I just want a rifle to hunt with and not mess with reloading so got a 300wby. Still have the rifle. If I was just looking for an elk and deer rifle I'd get the 300wby now if your going to hunt where long shots are need then the 30-378 or 300 ultra would fit. Nothing wrong with the 300 win mag to me there are better choices. I own a 300win mag and 30-338 also. Well good luck!

frftr12, I live out west so might offer some advice. First question is what are you hunting? Second is how far do you intend to shoot from field positions?

If this is a walkabout hunting rifle, you really don't shoot much over 500yds so even a 30-06 could work for deer.

If you are planning to set up and do some really long shots from a fixed position/bench, then I would look at the 300RUM and 240gr bullets. Not much better for value and performance. A barrel over 30" is helpful. So is a muzzle brake.

I live in areas where I could easily shoot 2000yds but my longest shot has been at 335yds. So even out west, you don't always get a long poke.

Jerry

Im thinkin of saleing my Rem 700 sporter weight in 300 RUM it shoots great.97.5 H1000 behind 180 nosler gold partion gives me 3367fps.5 rounds under MOA at 100yds.Im very happy with this rig,just don't really have a great need for it,plus Im in a little dept.There nothing a 30-378 can do that I can't with my 300RUM.So he can SOMETIMES get a 100 FPS ahead of me big deal.

I agree with you Iron Worker. I got my 30-378 for across the canyon shooting out here in Colorado, mainly for the first bull only season. If I get a pretty good load worked up for it I may take it as one of my elk rifles this year besides the 300wsm. I was getting 3481fps with 180 gr bullets so kind of think if I could hit one say at 1000 yds I'd have me a bull. I plan on taking the horses up this summer for acouple weeks and just do some pre scouting kind of want to get more up above timberline this year. We had a pretty low elk harvest last year so should be some nice bulls around. I normally draw a late season cow tag for meat. Like I said I've never had a need for anything over a 30 cal 180 gr bullet even used a 165 gr in one of my 30-338 for elk. My thing is I want the bullet to have at least 3000fps. The 100fps difference you say doesn't mean much does to me. I got the 30-378 for bullet wt and speed and nothing else. When you look at a rifle that take over 100 grs of powder and has a short barrel life might as well make the most of it otherwise why buy it and it's not like your going to be shooting it every day. Well good luck!

Roper I also agree that its not like Im going to shoot mine every day either.Even with a break onmine it still wallops you on the bench,plus sounds like an atom bomb.Good luck your self.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.