300 Weatherby Accumark

RDJ

Currently looking at a 300 Weatherby Accumark. It is quite a bit more money than the 300 Weatherby stainless synthetic I had initially intended on buying. Is this rifle really more accurate than the other Weatherby rfiles? All feedback appreciated.

watch out for the weatherby freebore
smile.gif

I have a 300 wby accumark. It is an accurate rifle. Recently I was talking to a guy in the weatherby custom shop and he pointed out that on the synthetic and stainless synthetic, you get a plastic stock. He made it sound like this reduces accuracy. I am not so sure how much. I was asking about a 257 wby and asked which he prefered whether it be custom of not and he mentioned the accumark, lightweight or super big game master. Handloading, you can produce some very accurate rounds.

I have a 30-378 in the stainless synthetic and the stock is definatly the weak point of the rifle. Haven't ever had an accumark but the stock looks to be a much more solid piece than the stainless synthetic. Why not a sendero in 300 RUM? Much better cost to performance ratio.

I have an Accumark in 300 WBY and have been very pleased with it. Accuracy runs arround 1/2 MOA. The stock is very solid with an aluminum bedding block.

firemedic - are you using weatherby factory ammo? I am not set up for handloading and will be buying factory made shells. With the outrageous cost, I would expect them to be just as good as handloads.

cobra - do you feel the accuracy is better in the RUM?

Thanks for you replies.

wthby told my dealer that they are basicaly a max load of imr7828,..and hence the 1 1/2" garantee. You have 2 choices,..handload or rebarrel with no freebore.

or #3,..a sendero in 300wthby
grin.gif

I have a 300 Weatherby accumark with a Swarovski BR scope and accuracy is outstanding (less than half minute of angle) Shot two whitetails this past year at 510 yards using 165 gr Hornady and hot load. As always the important things for accuracy are there to include an excellent crisp and light trigger, careful, scope mounting without cant and windage adjustments with the rear mount screw (Leupold) before fine tuning with scope adjustment. The less correction with the scope dial the better as all reticles "like" the center as close to factory setting as possible. If good scope mounting techniques are used with careful bore sighting (mine done visually by eyeing the bore and moving scope (not the crosswire) to as close to center of bore as possible) very few shots needed. Mine zero'd in 3 shots. At the first shot--don't move the rifle from the bullseye. If shot is 1 inch and high and two inches right for example--move the crosshair to the bullet hole. Then put crosswire on bull and you'll be real real close!

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts