We have a Situation here.

I had a similar situation happen, my father and I where walking to our stand for afternoon sit. got half way there and bumped into another guy that had permission to hunt same property. while we where standing there bullshittin a nice 6 pointer came barrel in over the ridge all 3 of us fired, he piled up 20 ft from us. the other guy started saying I got I got it, all 3 of us fired almost at same time. how the hell does he know he got it, I am saying to myself ..I am 16 years old at the time. ..Figuring we are going to split it up or something. this guy starts ranting and ravin how's it's his deer. I am ready to pound this guy. My father gives me the nod to head out. I was steaming. on the way back to truck my old man says don't worry plenty deer in the woods and his day will come....following year he got nailed for poaching and they confincated his gun and deer and other 4 he had hanging at his house with no tags on them. Now I think back probably the best thing we did was just walk away.

what a funny story, as a kid you must have been furious. your dad did the right thing

In 02 I shot a buck in Vt near pikes peak. He ran across a pond and went about another 50yds and piled up. The beaver pond was about 1/2 mile long and I was on a finger about in the middle deer crossed at. Long story short I found a gut pile at the end of my blood trail. Being opening day i wasn't worried much but it irked me. I went to Downer's store for a coffee after finding the gut pile and the old timer from across the road was there. He say's hey Rich check out my buck. I did and lo and behold it was the same buck I shot. I asked him where he shot it. He said in the neck so I asked him what he though of the 2 bullet holes in in both shoulders. I wouldn't take it even when he offered but it does come up whenever he sees my truck up at dad's.
Don't worry about it when it happens. If it is a booner or doe better things will come your way when you do what you the right thing. I ended up that season with a 211# dresser. My first 200#+ Vt buck. Since then I have hunted that area for 7 others over the 200# mark. I never would have found that ridge area if I had tagged that buck I lost to the neighbor. Mostly because of the productivity of that beaver pond stand.

The pond was about 20 yds wide and he got in the cover on the other side. He hit the ground on the first shot and the second shot seem to make him run harder. Both shots were less than 40 feet from an 06 loaded with 180 corelock round nose factory ammo

You're so very right. Every deer (or elk) I've poked thru the shoulders (and there's been more than a bunch) hasn't been able to take another step, let alone run. Across a pond. 20 yards wide and STILL somebody beat you to it and had so much time, not only was it gutted, it was packed plumb outta the woods by the time you made it across. I reckon those Vermont deers are some badazz buggers to do all that.....

Whatever I've shot around 60 deer most inside 50 feet. Not many maybe 10 were bang flop. The rest have run on avg about 60yds. Of those more than half have been through the shoulders

You don't need to justify yourself. He's trolling.

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.