We have a Situation here.

flowhnun63

I've been hunting in Vermont for 7 years now, taken two deer over that time. I was hunting on a distant relative's property for the first time. One other gentleman was hunting there as well whom I actually bumped into on my way through the woods.

Around 8:30am, I had a line of doe come through and I placed a shot on the largest one I saw. About 60 seconds later I heard a shot presumably from the other hunter. As I got up to track the doe, I came upon him standing with the deer down about 50 yards from where I had shot.

My shot was a little far back, puncturing the diaphram and grazed the stomach from what I could tell. (Maybe a bit of lung? There was a pretty heavy bright blood trail) His shot was on the spine at the base of the neck.

We were both unsure what to do next. After a friendly conversation, dressing the deer together, and some hem and hawing, I decided to offer up the deer for him to tag.

Seems that this is a coin toss situation. Some people I talk to say first blood should take the harvest (within a reasonable distance), others say kill shot. I'm curious of your folks' input!

I would have invited the gentlemen to a pistol duel at noon!

I would say the one who shot first. I've been in situations at hunting camps, and the first shot guy always won.

I had a similar situation happen, my father and I where walking to our stand for afternoon sit. got half way there and bumped into another guy that had permission to hunt same property. while we where standing there bullshittin a nice 6 pointer came barrel in over the ridge all 3 of us fired, he piled up 20 ft from us. the other guy started saying I got I got it, all 3 of us fired almost at same time. how the hell does he know he got it, I am saying to myself ..I am 16 years old at the time. ..Figuring we are going to split it up or something. this guy starts ranting and ravin how's it's his deer. I am ready to pound this guy. My father gives me the nod to head out. I was steaming. on the way back to truck my old man says don't worry plenty deer in the woods and his day will come....following year he got nailed for poaching and they confincated his gun and deer and other 4 he had hanging at his house with no tags on them. Now I think back probably the best thing we did was just walk away.

Talked to a wildlife officer about an incident similar to this years a go over a 170" whitetail not mine a friends. The game warden said who ever puts the tag on it first usually the kill shot. My friend didn't end up with the Buck.

Maybe a bit of lung?

With a gut shot deer, that pretty heavy bright blood trail would likely dry up pretty quickly. Your deer would certainly have died, but not until she crawled into thick cover. A gut shot deer will lie down soon but will go a long way if you push them. Your likelihood of finding that deer would be slim. It was gracious of you to offer to let him tag the deer. He saved that deer a lot of suffering. You'll get the next one.

As for whether it should go to first blood or the hunter that brings it to bag depends on local customs. In NH, it was always understood (by most) that it is the first hunter that makes a lethal shot that would allow them to get the deer. Gut shots are lethal but your chances of finding it are poor. I had a CO tell me that it was the one who brings it down. Law and custom are two different things.

When I was hunting in Michigan, the custom was first blood. My brother-in-law claimed a deer I killed that he barely clipped on the hamstring seconds before. He didn't hit any bone or arteries and very little muscle. My hit left a blood trail in the snow like someone took a three foot wide pink paint sprayer that pointed right to where we could see him piled up. He did change his mind after a minute.

We used to hunt various private/public spaces and some regions will have a fairly dense hunter population and we operate under possession rules, if the animal makes it out of sight and we follow up and another hunter is in possession, we don't argue, it's theirs, plenty more game animals in the woods and when it was a party hunt..the meat was evenly shared and heads went to those who wanted them, because we were for the most part meat hunters, horns mattered when seasons were bucks only...
I don't party or group hunt anymore and if I encounter a hunter where I now hunt, there will be more issues for the hunter than if he is in possession of the deer I shot.

The first lethal hit to me has the right but among gentleman it's a joint decision if two lethal shots were made. In this area something like that happens he would be expected to help you get yours but our hunting is different.

You did the right thing, that wasn't the only deer in the woods, plus it gave you more time to enjoy the hunt. I would have given it to him myslef. Plus, you probably made a pretty good friend. Its always to end some thing like that on good terms.

I would have invited the gentlemen to a pistol duel at noon!

I would say the one who shot first. I've been in situations at hunting camps, and the first shot guy always won.

what if he disagrees because he feels its one of my strong suit and he want some other way to settle this. its just so messed up

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.