2nd Deer down! But have a question about shot angle

DocTorT

Hey gang,
Just got my 2nd deer.
Shot with a Tikka T3x 6.5 PRC Ember. Custom BOTW turret shooting factory 147eldm. Confirmed zero and distance out to 875 which was max for that scope as is.

Here's the reason for the Q.

Took 2 shots at this bedded buck. Quartering away, SHOT HIGH by about 2-3" but hit just under the spine/just ahead of the front shoulder.
He jumped up and spun, walked 3 steps and I sent another quartering hard away shot through the rear flank aiming at front/opposite shoulder, appeared to impact right where the reticle sat.
He went down almost immediately.
Both shots I felt I aimed about 2-3 inches lower do to what I THINK I know about those angled up/down shots.

Shot was at 351 yards, with approximately a 30* angle downward to the target,

Based on this story, does it sound like buck fever and I simply just shot high on 1st shot? Was I right to hold 2-3" down shooting that far downhill?

QUESTION
how much higher is the bullet going to impact at that angle at that range?

Sorry for the lengthy question, but I'm scratching my head.

Attachments

• AADA67EC-F9AA-4AF5-8549-8BE8FB847CBE.jpeg
    AADA67EC-F9AA-4AF5-8549-8BE8FB847CBE.jpeg
    549.2 KB · Views: 49
Not your data but I see a difference of -.4 mil with a 175 EH at 2850 at 350 yards according to my app.

A 30° downward angle would give you a 304 yard "shoot to" distance ( cosine(30) x 351 yds = 304 yds). That doesn't take into account the 351 yard flight time, but at that distance, it's probably not a big difference.

Using standard atmosphere at sea level, and 2950 fps MV, that equates to about 3.5" high if you dialed for 351 yards without compensating for the angle.

Edited to add...Here's the JBM online calculator, and you can play around with your real world variables to see the effects.

Last edited:
Great thank you
A friend always talks to me about this but I never write it down and do it for myself.
Now I know how.
Appreciate the feedback!