Want to get into reloading!

I thought the RCBS summit was an accurate press no?

I don't have first hand experience with the Summit, however have extensive experience with the Rockchucker. For me I look at the construction of the press. The Summit looks rugged, however the die (die plate) is not supported on both sides as the Rockchucker is. With that said there's no support on both sides of the die ("C" press) thus the propensity for the die plate to spring is present especially with the longer sided cases like the 300 WinMag and longer cases. There's a lot of resistance sizing in the sides of the case and then pushing the shoulder back when full-length resizing. I'm not saying it won't work, I just feel that the Rockchucker is a better choice because the die plate is not going to spring because the die plate is supported on both sides. If the die can spring the concentricity is compromised due to misalignment. We're all trying to maintain concentricity where case necks are measured, pushed back to remove runout or turned to maintain concentricity. For me the press is the most important piece of equipment in reloading. Others will express that the Forster COAX is a better and more accurate press than the Rockchucker, then you are getting into the Ford vs Chevy argument. Here's a link that might help:
http://bulletin.accurateshooter.com...s-comparison-rock-chucker-vs-co-ax-vs-summit/

The reason I went with the RCBS summit is because I watched a video of a guy do a comparison on the Hornady iron single stage press versus the RCBS summit and then he measured with the Hornady concentricity tool and the summit produced really straight ammo

I have been interested in the Summit press since they first came out. The concept of moving the die to the case instead of moving the case to the die looks interesting. All reviews I have seen or read have had nothing but praises for this press. It seem to be a good, easy to operate and strong press - IMHO.
I am not in to the 'big bore' cartridges mainly using 6.5 calibers for long range shooting and neck size as much as possible. I don't thinks I would have to worry about die flexing for this operation or for seating.
I also use an arbor press with forester dies for 6 PPC and 6.5 Grendel. With the addition of the part, I would be able to have both a conventional press and an arbor press in one unit that I could set up at the range.
I think you did just fine in you choice. Now it is time for you to start the more enjoyable part - the reloading and testing of you cartridges.

Military Brass is inconsistent and rough at best With crimped in primers. Not good for starting out reloading. I would stick with commercial brass. If you use once fired brass you will have to Full Length resize to make sure it fits in your chamber. The big advantage of reloading is to tailor the ammo to your rifle so only use brass in the rifle it was fired in.

whats the best Powder for a 308 , or rifles period? or where is a great place to read up on the different powders?
There is no such thing as a "best powder for rifles period". Different sized cases, different bullet weights, different barrel lengths, etc... Lots of factors.

But for .308 Win, one of the best and most widely used & respected is Hodgdon Varget.

is there certain powder that would give you faster FPS
Well, yes, but you also have to look at fill ratio percentages, cartridge capacity, bullet weight, barrel length, powder burn rate, etc... Lots of factors play into picking a powder. It's not a one-size-fits-all type of thing.

This wasn't mentioned very often....take LOTS of notes. Then take some more. After that, take some more. This hobby you are embarking on is a perishable skill, and many times, life will throw something at you that takes you away from the loading bench for a time. Often I have had to step away from loading to deal with these little snafus, and when I got back to my bench, I was lost. Now I take notes. It really sucks , but starting over sucks WAY worse. Especially the third tme. Patience, and notes.

This wasn't mentioned very often....take LOTS of notes. Then take some more. After that, take some more. This hobby you are embarking on is a perishable skill, and many times, life will throw something at you that takes you away from the loading bench for a time. Often I have had to step away from loading to deal with these little snafus, and when I got back to my bench, I was lost. Now I take notes. It really sucks , but starting over sucks WAY worse. Especially the third tme. Patience, and notes.

Thanks for the heads up, haven't really thought about that yet but that makes complete sense!

so whats the deal with Crimping rifle rounds? i just bought a RCBS Competition Die Set and was wondering if that will Crimp as well ? i have read that bolt action don't require crimping but semi-auto should. Any help is greatly appreciated guys!!!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.