advice for getting into reloading

Hello, gents. thanks for all the help so far. i read the link above, in addition to the chapters 1-5 of the Speer #14 manual(have a feeling they will be read again, and again). This is what i've amassed so far, but what else do i need/need to have to facilitate reloading? Rock Chucker Supreme Press, 5-0-5 Powder Scale, Uniflow™ Powder Measure, Speer No. 14 Reloading Manual, Hand-Priming Tool, Hex-Key Set, Universal Case Loading Block, Case-Lube Kit, Powder Funnel and Deburring Tool, rcbs die sets, bullets, powder, primers, Lyman case trimmer, calipers, lyman powder trickler. Any suggestions for which chronograph, tumber/media to purchase, as well as any other tools? Do i need o.a.l. guages to start with, or should i, or can i start reloading to my factory ammo length, ? do you have to purchase every bullet manufacturers reloading manual, or is there published online load data? 257 weatherby/300wm/7mmRM are the calibers my once neighbor reloads for me, all using accubonds. at this point, i have zero complaints with nosler accubonds, they have killed many a deer and hogs, most DRT. when i start reloading after deer season, Feb. here in TX, i want to have everything i might need, don't want to wait on mail order, etc.

first off, try to find someone who reloads and will sit with you for a session or two. next, COL (cartridge overall length) is based on the SAAMI specs for a gun chambers, but I have found that if you seat a bullet which will pass easily thru your magazine, and as near the rifling lands as possible, this is a good starting point for accuracy. Use a dial or digital vernier caliper to determine this length.

I have a 10 year on Beta Shooting Chrony, and it still helps define some of the mysteries of certain powder/caliber/projectile/primer combinations. But if you plan to follow the reloading manuals, you will be measuring your gun's output against that used to develop the load manual data. Take a close look at what gun, barrel length, etc. were used to develop that load, and use a dose of salt with it.

Individual items quite often a decisions based on spur of the moment/opportunity knocking situations.

Good luck and stay safe.

If you are already shooting reloads a friend has been doing for you and they are all performing well, I would suggest that you stay right with the recipe he has been using. That's what I did when a friend gave me all his reloading equipment and I started doing my own after several years of having another friend reload for me. All I did was use the reloaded cases for each of the calibers he was doing for me and put them in the seating die until the press I was given seated them to the same depth as the press my friend was using. I was having him full length resize everything, so that was also a simple process in setting up my resizing dies in the press I was given. Just make sure you get the loading information from him if you don't already have it as far as the powder and number of grains to use for each load.

Kits make a lot of sense. At some point you may choose to add some things but most of what you need is right there.

I really enjoy this site. i'm on the net approx 8 hrs per month, 7 of which browsing longerangehunting.com! just thought i'd say thanks for all of the posts/help/reviews, etc by posting my 1st ever reloading results. imr4350 wlr primer 22-250 remington 700 stainless. this gun shot 3/4moa 100yd three shot groups after i put a bell/carlson medalist and floated the barrel, added a timney.....now it shoots 1/2" to .625" !!! thanks guys!

Attachments

• IMG_0514.jpg
    IMG_0514.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 53
stick with rcbs or hornady stuff. Its high quality and both those companys stand behind everything they sell and fix things without question. Dillons another good one but you dont need dillon for those kinds of numbers.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.