advice for getting into reloading

skeeterboud

my neighbor reloaded for a couple of guns of mine, he recently got divorced and moved. challenging to get reloads, now that we live 1hr apart. he has the die sets/primers/cases/powder/bullets that i've paid for, so i was thinking about reloading for myself.

what components, prefer higher quality stuff, do you guys recommend for great accuracy/repeatability for someone who only needs to reload 20-30 rounds per month for each of the following calibers? 257 wthby, 300wm, 7mmRemMag?

press=
scale=
trimmer=
etc=

Here's what I have

RCBS Rockchucker press
RCBS standard FL sizing die
Forster Benchrest Seater die (on the way)
RCBS 5-0-5 Scale
Forster Original case trimmer
Hornady OAL guage,

I started with the kit Topgun 30-06 mentioned, and added a couple things

Don't reload the calibers you have, so I'll leave any suggestions on that to people who do. I just got into reloading this last spring, reloaded about 200 rounds or so, and like doing the process almost as much as shooting.

What does a reloading manual have to do with his question? Incidentally, the kit I recommended does include a Speer #14 reloading manual.

Not poking at anything but it sounds to me like he doesn't know what to do to get past the basics so he can focus on accuracy. You don't need to spend a lot of money on equipment to make high quality accurate ammo.

as you no doubt can see, everyone has their favorite system. Be it Lee, RCBS, Redding, Lyman, Dillon, or whatever, they all pretty much do a decent job of letting you combine multiple elements into a working, accurate round. Some do certain things better than others, but they all work.

Invest what you think is necessary, look at all the options, start with a single stage press, buy good dies (my prejudices aside, RCBS has about the best warranty out there for dies and presses) but the others are as good, read several manuals and check out the websites for your bullets and powders - they quite often have valuable insights and reload data - and take your time.

if you have questions, most everyone here can help and would relish the opportunity to pass on years of experience and knowledge.

Stay safe,
Rick

That is not a kit that he listed in his post. He got the kit I suggested in mine and then he went with Forster dies, etc. Maybe that's what you meant. I also use Forster dies and highly recommend them.

thanks, to all! think i'll get the kit emn83 referenced, then purchase add. items, as needed.

That is not a kit that he listed in his post. He got the kit I suggested in mine and then he went with Forster dies, etc. Maybe that's what you meant. I also use Forster dies and highly recommend them.

Just to clarify, like Topgun 30-06 siaid, what I listed was not the original kit, but what I am currently using.

The Rockchucker kit is a very good kit for starting out, all you need to buy is a shell holder (I recommend buying 2 for each size) and dies and you are set.

I added the OAL guage, Forster case trimmer and the Forster seater die later, because I am starting to get into more precise reloading. My next step will be to get the Forster Bushing die for sizing.

I am fairly new to reloading too, so I'm learning too, but am more than willing to share my experiences as a new reloader, both good and bad. Good luck and have fun!

I really recommend doing quite a bit of research (that means reading), then you can start asking more specific questions. . start with an upfront section of a reloading manual like Sierra or Nosler - it is relatively easy, but there is always stuff you want to watch out for, that we would not be able to catch ..
check this link out:

Reloading 101: Reloading basics for the new reload - Sniper's Hide Forums

good luck / its addicting !

thanks for all of the input. perhaps i should have been more clear of my intent, as i still have many reloaded rounds, that should last some time. really just wanted a list of tools/etc for the future, and mainly for insurance against outrageous ammo costs(ridiculous now). so, in the mail as we speak are: RCBS Rock Chucker Supreme Master Reloading Kit, lyman case trimmer(kit), powder trickler. i guess i'll still need: cleaning media/tumbler/ and ..........? this stuff will sit, possibly for quite a long time, until i really need to reload, so quite a bit of time will be available for reading reloading books(at the deer lease, mid-day in the blind, etc) before operation. the attached link "Reloading Basix: " is just what i needed, thanks for referencing it.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.