Want to get into reloading!

i meant the FORSTER Co-Ax or the RCBS Summit!

I don't know enough about any of these choices to give a strong recommendation.

I will say that Forster has a stellar reputation. They made some great stuff way back when that has stood the test of time. I especially remember their mini-lathe for brass prep work - I still use mine today for case trimming. Later on they entered the market of precision reloading dies when they bought Bonanza who invented co-axial dies starting with a seater die with the now famous concentric sliding sleeve. I assume this purchase included the people and expertise because all of their die stuff has been top notch.

That said, I like the in-line capabities of the RCBS Summit. If you end up with in-line dies, this may someday prove to be a wise choice.

I doubt you would go wrong with either one. But I guess I lean toward the Forster myself.

Last edited:
I read up on the RCBS a bit once you mentioned a possible bargain. Evidently there have been 2 iterations of this press. The first had fewer base screws or something. Make sure you get the latest...otherwise it may have chatter and some looseness that won't lead to extreme accuracy once your capable of it. I did track down the fella yesterday that sells the upgrade mod for the case jaw set up for my Forster Co-Ax. Fella is from Mt.

Dang Internet.

I just ran across a roller handle upgrade from Inline Fabrication for my Forster.

Gonna be hard to sell and replace this thing when I take care of the only minor nits I have ever had to pick with it.

Just ran across another press that appears to ring the bell. The PraziPress from Germany uses 3 posts and a top plate to maintain precision alignment and according to some reviews it develops more force than any other press. It will set you back almost a grand and take two months to come, but every pro review I've seen says it outperforms everything else out there. VERY TALL CLAIMS given most of the stuff out there produces ammo that shoots better than I do. I still lean toward the Forster, but wanted you to know about the option.

I ended up going with the RCBS summit, figure if I really want to step it up a couple years from now after I've been doing it for a while I can, but I feel like that's really nice press to start with!

I ended up going with the RCBS summit, figure if I really want to step it up a couple years from now after I've been doing it for a while I can, but I feel like that's really nice press to start with!

I'm sure you will be happy with it. It was one of my top picks for you. Let us all know how you feel about it after you have used it for a while. Don't forget to get really good dies with it. Lots to choose from there too!

You can never be to safe and the more info i have to make myself safer the better i am for me and my Family , so im starting to write down equipment i think i would like , i dont mind spending money on nice equipment , the only thing im having a problem on deciding is a press , do certain dies only work with certain presses ect. I think for now i want a single press and just from what i get im gonna want to do some precision reloading eventually and that should be done one at a time right?, so is that something that can be done on a progressive press ?
I would NEVER recommend anything other than a single stage press for a person who is just starting out reloading. There are numerous critical stages to learn about reloading without having to learn the process of keeping a turret press up and running. I recently bought a Dillon 650XL and I am still having trouble figuring it out, when it is up and running it pumps ammo every time quickly and accurately. However if you have a problem with a powder drop or a primer seating problem, or a bullet depth the press then will pump out defective ammunition just as easily as pumping out good ammunition, and then you have to figure out how to fix it. I find that getting a Dillon back on track can be a challenging task and I have been reloading for 55+ years. Get yourself a good single stage "O" press to start out, something strong, reliable and accurate. I have an RCBS Rockchucker that I have had for many years and thousands of rounds of ammunition to start out with. I believe that Forster Coax makes a good press, however they usually are out of stock when you try to buy one. I mentioned in a previous post on this thread, if you can find someone who is already experienced with reloading, a mentor, it will help you out tremendously.

now what about that Hornady Scale a Powder Dispenser in one ,not bad for $200, i figure i need a good scale ($100) , and a powder thrower ($100) of some sort and that would rum me about as much as the Hornady all in one! sorry if I'm asking to many questions! , an really thinking about going with the Hornady Lock-n-Load Classic , or is the RCBS Chucker better , if they are basically the same I'm leaning towards the Hornady!

Please don't apologize for asking questions, that his how you will learn. I use an Ohaus 505 powder scale (RCBS powder scale is good too), I've had it for years and still go back to it to check my RCBS Chargemaster. I use an RCBS Competition powder measure. I would like to stress the KISS principle, keep it simple when starting out. If I want accurate I will set my powder measure to drop a charge 1/4 to 1/2 a grain lower than my desired charge, and then trickle charge up to the desired load as I measure the load in the pan of my scale. I bought an RCBS Chargemaster powder measure/dispenser, it is okay however it can act up sometimes too.

Will the iron Hornady Single stand make more accurate bullets than Regular Hornady Single stage press

An "O" press (RCBS/Forster COAX) will make accurate loads better than a "C" press (LEE BREECH loader/RCBS Summit) or turret press. A "C" press will make accurate ammunition, however when you get into reloading the larger magnum cartridges, the potential for spring in the press is there. An "O" press is supported on both sides of the reloading die, the "C" press is supported on only one side of the reloading die.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.