Velocity out of a 7WSM using 176 Cauterucio?

trader388

What kind of velocity could I get out of a 7WSM 24" barrel loading in a 176gr Cauterucio? And how much velocity could I gain going to a 28" or 30" barrel?

I had two 7 wsm that I recently shot out. You should be able to get around 3000FPS with 70.0 grains of Retumbo with the 176. That is a max load so start lower and work up. Your 24 inch barrel is all you need on the wsm. You wont gain any more speed with a longer barrel on that cartidge. My 28.5 inch barrels wouldn't gain any more speed than my brothers gun with a 24 inch tube. I think anything longer than a 26 inch tube on a wsm just gets bullet drag. Thanks Reed

Hmmmmm, this is sounding sweeter all the time. Just maybe this will be what I chamber my ultralight mountain rifle in.
smile.gif

Reed,

Hey what kind of setup did you have (action barrel stock etc) ...you say you
shot them out? How many rounds did you get out of them before you started
losing accuracy?

I had two of them in blue printed savage actions with kevin rayhills 3 inch wide longe range hunting stock with bision barrels and sharp shooter triggers, vias style muzzle breaks. Both guns shot extremely well until I ruined them. last summer I got both of them at around the same time and started shooting IMR 5010 through them because i could not get ahold of retumbo yet. But what I didn't know is that the 5010 was not being burnt completely in my barrel and was acting like molten hot sand blasting. The throats in both my guns look fine, but the rifeing lost is sharpness and smoothness. Throats look good but bores are rough as cobs. It makes me sick I ruined $800 worth barrels last summer. The really bad part is that both would shoot under a quater inch no problem. Live and learn, but that a expensive mistake. I hold nothing against the barrels or cartidge my own stupidy ruined the barrels. You should of seen the muzzle crowns on those guns after running 4 pounds of 5010 through them, it looked something was chewing on them.
rolleyes.gif

Reed, retumbo is slower than the powders that I have seen on here and other sites that have been recommended for the wsm calibers. My own 300 wsm likes IMR 7828 better than H4350 for accuracy while H4350 is probably the powder that I have seen reccommended the most for my caliber. Have you tried retumbo yet and if so what kind of results have you soon ? Since my gun likes Imr 7828 I have been thinking about trying H1000 because it might be less temperature sensitive while being fairly close to the burn rate of IMR 7828. I welcome any comments concerning this.

If I was building a 7mm to shoot the 176, I'd use the STW, Dakota or even the RUM. 3000 fps with the wsm seems light for me since its a max load. If the rifle doesn't shoot the max velocity load accurately you may end up with a 2800 or 2900 fps load. I would want to take full advantage of that load and get the max accurate velocity.

Just my two cents YMMV

I have a 7MM RSAUM with a 24 inch barrel. It has ballistics very similar to the WSM. With 60 grains of H4831SC pushing a 162 SST I am getting 2950+ fps. This is a max load, right at the shiny extractor mark on the case. I am going to back off on this load for spring and summer shooting.

I am seating them way long and they will not begin to fit in the magazine well. So it is single shot for now. The Wyatts mag box is sounding pretty good. Don't know if your planning on carrying this rifle or shooting off a bench.

I am not sure that you will see 3000 fps with a 24 inch barrel and heavy bullet like a 176. I think the only chance would be a longer barrel and slower powder like H1000/Retumbo.

The Hodgdon 2004 Annual Manual shows the following data for a 7MM WSM - 175 GR SPR MAG TIP bullet:

H1000 - 58(2635fps) to 62(2764fps)
Retumbo - 60(2651fps) to 64(2800fps)

http://www.accuratereloading.com/7mmtarg.html

Some nice 5 shot groups from the 180 bergers. .112 being the best at 2771fps with
67.5 grains.

Point being is the bergers seem to like the 2700-2925 area ...so the question is: Do you need the power of the STW?

I'm tending to stay away from the overbore stuff such as STW and RUM as I dont want molten copper running outta my barrel
grin.gif

I only shoot the retumbo with 180 grain bullets. with 120.140's and 150, they love IMR 7828. In my brothers mostly factory & 7wsm 24 inch barrel I can get 3700 Fps with 120 nosler and 73.0 grains of 7828. also with 72.0 grains of 7828 and 140BT I can get 3450FPS both laods shoot fantastic. It is one of the best shooting factory rigs I have seen, It will shoot with just about any laod you put in it. Thanks reed

i just tried to call Bob... im assuming he is out for a while due to the surgery you all are talkin about??? i had a 7WSM built with a 28"krieger 9"twist.. it is shooting the 180berger very well to me but i have never shot much this far(386yds max at my range) i am interested in trying some of cuterucios bullets but i need help finding some... can any body help me out???
[email protected]

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.