Cauterucio 176

Troy,

Bob will ship them to me priority mail, got that taken care of, one hitch on the 176gr though: Bob's having bypass surgery and will be out of commision for several weeks, and he's out of the 176 currently. I'm sending him my mailing address and getting on the list for the 176's, and he's sending me a few 176's for to get the reamers spec'd along with some 155's, hope that'll help out some.

Shipping from San Fransisco will probably be a tad less than Knox's place in AR I'd guess... Now for the brass, eh!
smile.gif

Ah that is music to my ears, Brent. I better get on the list as well for several hundred. Just as well as the rifle will not be up and running for awhile. The BAT is going to be awhile. I just missed out on an 8.5" M Oct Bruce had in stock. I could have had a RBLPRE right away but do not need all the bells and whistles.
grin.gif

I sure hope not. I am just about to order a Lilja 1/9 twist 4 groove. Have people shot this bullet in colder weather with a 1/9 with good results?

I had two 7 wsm's with 9 twist and had good results shooting the 180 Berger's from 2900fps to 3000 fps. I think the 1-9 is all you need. If you want any 180 to try I have a few boxes laying around. Thanks Reed

I may go with the 8 twist to be perfectly safe, but I may also be cutting the barrel back to 22" though. I also will be limiting myself to much closer range than you all might be too, probably 600-800 max. I believe the bullets are well enough made that overspinning them shouldn't make much difference, and with talk of more terminal performance on game it sounds best for my situation.

Brent, my 7STW is shooting the 156 Cauterucio .5 MOA. They are great bullets. Bob told me that a 7 or 8 twist would be required to shoot the 176's.
I never tried the 176's although I like the idea of a 750 BC. My nine twist likes the 156's so .615 BC is good enough.

I wish Bob good health, he is a great guy.

BTM, call John Hoover at Accuracy One in PA (814)684-5322. I think he also sells them.

I have a 9 twist krieger on my 7 STW. Shoot .5" with the 156 grain Cauterucio. BC is 615. Great bullets.

So If I'm reading this right,, I will need between an 8 to 8.5 twist to properly stabilize the 176gr bullets at 2750 to 2800fps.

I'm looking at a 7SAUM project with a 30" barrel. Traditionally, a 9 twist is what's called for. I run the risk of having to drop back to a 168 if I don't either spin them faster (impossible with a SAUM) or go to an 8 twist?

Also,, how long is the wait on these bullets generally? I've been putting off this project waitng for Sierra to release their new 175SMK in .284. Looks now like they're only about a month out, but the BC isn't hammered down yet, and it's rumored to only be in the .60 to .63 range. Not even close to being able to compete with the 176 or even Bergers 180. so,, I can either run with a low BC bullet (why bother) or be a slave to the supply line,,,, neither sounds appealing.

Before I waste a bunch of time and money on a barrel I'd have to use in 7-08,, what's the skinny?

Man,, I'm glad I re-read this but I'm more confused now than when I started.

FatBoy...

when i talked to bob about the twist rate he said in all his years of shooting he has never OVER stabilized by having a fast twist...hence 8 twist is fine.

You could try the JLKs they are 180gr .738 BC

can anyone help me find some of the cauterucios to try in my 9"twist krieger 7WSM??? i tried to call bob and got no answer...thinking he is maybe out for a while due to his surgery.. i have shot berger 180's in it and they shoot well but im not sure if thats as good as it gets.. thinkin bobs will shoot better... can anyone help me??? [email protected]
Brien

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts