Cauterucio 176

Brent

Len

What twist have you figured would be best for this bullet? Anyone else too.
smile.gif

Bob doesn't make 30 cal's does he?

Twist depends somewhat on velocity, of course, but nine twist at 3200 or so fps.

I think he makes a 30 but not a VLD version.

At what point in MV do you guys feel an 8.5 or 8 twist may be needed and would be a safe twist?

Len,
What was the twist rate on the Dakota of yours that you seemed to find was a hair slow for the 176, and the MV it was at? Maybe I misunderstood? I think I remember something about you going to a faster twist to be sure, or something to that effect so you wouldn't have to drop to the 168 (wt?) or which ever the lighter of the two is. My mind is a little fuzzy on this.

The 7mm stuff is new to me, no familiarity with them or the bullets/twists etc for the large part.

We'd been discussing the 7/338LI at the gun shop yesterday and Dad and I were talking later of having the next Lapua Imp reamer just based on the 6.5 and using seperate neck and throater reamers to take them out to 7mm, 30 cal, 338, and 416 etc.

Dad thinks I'm out of my mind (so did Dave) for thinking 6.5 or 7mm on the Lapua case, but with a longer neck and 40 deg shoulder I think I'll experiment a little.

Tell me, does the 30 cal Bob makes have a boattail?

I've heard John Hoover sells them, any other place I should look?

[ 03-13-2004: Message edited by: Brent ]

Brent

That barrel was a 9 twist. It is being changed to an 8 twist. But...I am no longer so sure that the 9 twist was too slow at that gun's 3,150 fps.

Chris Mathews has discovered that the existing barrel was rather rough in its last 10 inches. He also found hairline cracks on either side of the HS Precision stock just ahead of the forward action screw on the Nesika Bay action. I don't know how long it was cracked.

If you remember, I was reporting vertical flyers. About 2 or 3 out of 10 shots would increase a group's vertical about 1/2 moa more than the other shots. We are putting a McMillan A-5 stock on that rifle.

My 7/338 Lapua Improved project will be done in a 9 twist for 3,400 fps with the Cauterucio 176.

grin.gif
grin.gif
I'm lucky I remembered you were thinking maybe a faster twist might be needed, now that you mention it I think remember the flier issue. My Dad had the same type problem with his 6.5wsm using the 142 SMK, but the shorter 140 was fine. The odd thing about that though, was the longer 140 JLK and A-Max were also fine. Guess the 142 it just did not like for some reason. He still dwells on the twist being too slow/marginal though.

Thanks much.
smile.gif

Brent,

I've been shooting 176s in a 7mmRUM for the past two seasons at @3,360. I've pushed them over 3,400, but the pressure was over the top. The barrel started off as a 30" 1:9" twist Krieger that has since been set back & reamer re-designed for less slop in the neck & web areas.

Bob's 156s shot at least as well as the 176s in the same rifle. Trajectories were similar, with the 176s holding the wind better at 1,000 as you would expect. In a 7WSM, I'd try both if I were you - good stuff.

In .30, Bob sent some of his 155s for testing. They shot every bit as tight or tighter than the hallowed Sierra 155 Matchking bullets through my Palma rifle. I'm pretty sure he does some 6.5s too. Most of his designs have the boattails tweaked around for better performance.

All-in-all, super nice people & super good product!
grin.gif

Brent if you can convince Bob to send some bullets up your way let me know. I am striking out all over trying to find the long heavies in 7mm, with the exception of the Berger's (which I am not too interested in shooting at this point).

[ 03-15-2004: Message edited by: Troy Glass ]

Len I did talk with Bob. He said he would not ship to Canada. Then a friend and fellow forumite offered to have the bullets shipped to him and he would send them on. I thought the problem was solved but apparently Bob will only ship in the CONUS. I told him he was making it extremely hard to buy his bullets and he laughed.

Any other help or suggestions would be appreciated.

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts