Cauterucio 176

TRader,

over stabilization isn't my concern. The rifle I'm plannning is an NRA Prone rifle. I'll have to shoot it from a sling and there are no muzzle breaks allowed, so WSM is out.

My concern is that in order to push the 176's and even 180's to 2800fp, I'll get too much pressure using the faster 1:8 twist, and I'll end up at 2700fps or there about. This would still be a great cartdridge, but wouldn't give me the numbers I'm looking for.

I'm wondering now if I do go with 1:8, will it shred Bergers or the new Sierra's? If Bob's supplies dry up for a couple months, I can't afford to wait, so I'll have to have other options, and the 8 twist may limit me.

Am I over thinking this?

Chris
Aka FatBoy...

John,
Thanks buddy.
smile.gif

Chris,
I'm not sure about what you'd loose, just haven't learned too much about how twist affects pressure in identical barrels, or even read much about it. Seems that your concern is a normal one, I've heard it before, and sounds logical, but I wonder what one can expect to loose (fps) going from 9 to 8 to 7 or what ever.

Dave, down there in Texas has a 300 WSM, it has a 12 twist, forget the length, MFG, and speed he was getting at this point, but my Dad's 11 twist was smokin his and everyone posting about theirs for speed. Dad's gets an honest 3250 fps with a 178 AMax in a 27.5" bbl. His is a Pac-Nor bbl FWIW, and fouls very little. His 3 groove 10 twist bbl for his 338 WSM fouls even less.

His barrel may be an exception rather than the rule, least that's what I've been finding anyway. Tempting to go to Pac-Nor for the barrel though, if that had anything to do with it, but I'm guessing the bore dimensions must be playing a role. What else would? It has a fairly short throat, needs to be about .050 longer to keep the bearing surface on the 200 Accubonds a bit above the neck/shoulder juncture pinch point.

Just food for thought.

Mine's going to be an 8 twist, I think I'll be plenty safe.

My gunsmith calls twist "Money in the bank".

Fatboy, If you are unsure go with the 9 twist and try the 156's. If they don't shoot in your gun you still have options. I like the 176's too but I don't want a twist I may regret later.

Good Shooting!

Brent your finally going with a big 7......I'm impressed!

John

If you're unsure, go with the slower twist?
confused.gif

True, you could always shoot the 156, but why not be safe with the faster 8 twist?

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.