7WSM Velocities?

J300UM

I wanna put together a compact lightweight (under 10lbs) pack rifle. I think the 7WSM is the way to go. What kind of velocities can be achieved with a 168 or 180 VLD using a short tube like a 26" or even a 24"?

check out this post by Glenn Seekins , he is shooting a 7mm WSM in a rifle that sounds like what your looking for and keep in mind that their are some places that evern a little bit more weight can be trimmed

the 7wsm shoots!!! - Sniper's Hide Forums

I think that Nathan Dagley here "308 nate" is getting a little over 3000fps with the 180gr Bergers out of his 7mm-300WSM

My wifes rifle is running right at 3000fps with the 180's out of a 26" barrel. I haven't tried the 168's yet...doubt that I will. The 180's shoot to well.

Thanks for the info!!! If I can get 3000 with the 180's and good accuracy my 300 will be down the road. It would be nice to have a good capable rig that doesn't knock the dog $#)! outta me everytime I tickle the trigger!!!

My 7 x300wsm in a Rem 700 mountain rifle is a real shooter. Why don't you go to a lighter bullet? I shoot a barnes 140 TSX with great success. It will be crono'd on the 7 of Feb. It doesn't kick you into the middle of next week! 20 -30 rounds a day is not difficult. My longest kill has been 675 yds using the 120 XBT. Velocity is around 3150 est. in need of verification.

I get 2975 with a 26" Shilen and the 180 bergers. Very pleasent to shoot with a holland brake.

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.