vanguard break in update

earlcurtis67

was finally able to make it to the range today, took with me four different types of ammo. I did not clean the bore from previous shoot. first 4 shot group using 120gn core-locs 1.6", 2nd 3 shot group using hornady custom 117gn 1.7", 3rd 3 shot group using win. silver tip 115 gn 1.3", 4th 3 shot group using same win. 115s measured .7" with the the last shot im sure I pulled so I didn't count it. this round of shooting was @ 100 yds., allways letting the barrel cool down between 3 shot groups, there was about a 5-10 mph cross wind
for the second round I set up @200 yds. wind was a little gustier, so I figured id just concern myself with vertical stringing, 1st three shot groups using the win silver tips 3.6". second 2 shot group using win. super x 90gn. .7 " !, third 3 shot group 1.6"
im not really sure what to think about this. Im not sure if the accuracy increase was due to the ammo or round count? Im thinking that instead of setting up @200 yds. if i should have started all over again @ 100 yds. and included the 90 grn super Xs. also with each group with the exception of the very first there was allways one flyer
curious to here from ya'll. for the the people new to this post, the rifle is a new vanguard S2 in 25-06 E

If it was me, I would only shoot one load type at a time, then clean the bore good before shooting the next load type. I have heard that shooting different loads of bullets and powders may have an affect on accuracy. To what extent this is true, I don't know, but eliminating it as a variable is probably a good idea.

After cleaning shoot until the barrel settles back in if it needs to. Then let cool and shoot your 100 Group, cool and shoot the 200 yd group. Then clean and start over with the next load.

my first 257 was the older vanguard. It would foul to the point it would effect accuracy in 10-15 rounds. Groups would double in size by about the 15th round. Kept clean i would shoot moa though. I even tried lapping it and its was still a gun you had to keep clean.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.