Rem700 break in

MadMike

What is the best method to break in a new rifle? I've heard from a few people about lapping the barrel

Shoot it, then clean to bare metal when you get home. I don't think you can get much out of a shoot one, clean routine on a factory barrel.

Shoot it, then clean to bare metal when you get home. I don't think you can get much out of a shoot one, clean routine on a factory barrel.

Agreed. I clean thoroughly before going to the range, then run a final wet patch down the bore of RemOil. Then I go to the range, shoot about 50 rounds in 5-shot groups letting it cool down completely between groups, then come back home and clean it thoroughly, and run another wet patch of RemOil to let it soak into the metal of the bore while it sits in the safe.

Agreed. I clean thoroughly before going to the range, then run a final wet patch down the bore of RemOil. Then I go to the range, shoot about 50 rounds in 5-shot groups letting it cool down completely between groups, then come back home and clean it thoroughly, and run another wet patch of RemOil to let it soak into the metal of the bore while it sits in the safe.

What is your guys view on lapping it?

Almost all of my factory barrels have been hand-lapped by my smith prior to break-in. Therefore, most didn't take many shots to start shooting consistent groups.

If you know how to hand-lap the bore properly, I would say go for it. It's worked for me.

First thoroughly clean the bore. I prefer Wipeout. Shoot 1 and clean...you should see some copper come out. Keep shooting 1 then clean until there is little to no copper after the 1 shot. Then you are good to go. Shooting more than 1 round just puts more copper on copper and doesn't help break in.

Shoot it first, you might not need it.

As always, the quality of barrel starts at the manufacturing process. Lapping a barrel (in the right hands) improves it significantly up to a point unless quality is beyond repair as noted here in the video ...

[ame]https://youtu.be/hf9zZqn00CA?t=64[/ame]

I used Lilja's (or a varied version) barrrel break-in recommendation >>> Centerfire Maintenance - Lilja

Good luck and happy safe shooting/hunting.

Lapping it incorrectly will ruin it for sure - have someone who knows how to do it take care of it if you want it done.

Of course, a lapped barrel will benefit from break in, but a straight factory barrel is a waste of time.

I use Bartlein barrels exclusively. I usually shoot five, clean, take a look with the bore scope. If I find copper residue I do it again.
But after two or three iterations I just shoot it.
Never had a problem with accuracy.
800 rounds - still shoots real good:

Attachments

• PICT5275.JPG
    PICT5275.JPG
    24.8 KB · Views: 50
I only have custom barrels shilen, kraiger, bartlein.

I shoot one and clean for 5 shots. I use boretech eliminator which will turn blue with copper present. After the five shots I will shoot a 3 shot group and clean. Usually there is no sign of copper. then I just shoot it. If copper present then I do the shoot and clean for 5 shots and check again.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.