Barrel break in

How do test between doing a break in from start to finish and never doing one? You can't determine what could have been since you can't do both.

I would say the best way to find out if break in will do any good with a barrel that hasn't been broke in is to thoroughly clean the bore and start the clean and shoot method using a chronograph on every shot. If the velocity doesn't improve after a 3 to 5 shots then it must be broke in.

J E CUSTOM

I'm trying to get all this figured out on up loading bore scope
For the 28 Nosler break in
So inputs are welcome

Attachments

• 7C40B286-7E8D-4278-8836-933B553020AC.jpeg
    7C40B286-7E8D-4278-8836-933B553020AC.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 97
Working
This was supposed to be a video

Attachments

• D0B46EC4-46E7-4C1E-ADF9-AD9FC0AF8484.jpeg
    D0B46EC4-46E7-4C1E-ADF9-AD9FC0AF8484.jpeg
    99.3 KB · Views: 100
  • 525E1949-C2D9-4205-AF6C-41D209CA49FB.jpeg
    525E1949-C2D9-4205-AF6C-41D209CA49FB.jpeg
    103.8 KB · Views: 84
  • 7FE5E487-2070-45F1-B3AB-6A0D80DA17D6.jpeg
    7FE5E487-2070-45F1-B3AB-6A0D80DA17D6.jpeg
    94.4 KB · Views: 92
  • 82A66550-043D-40E6-93BE-2136A4BA28C2.jpeg
    82A66550-043D-40E6-93BE-2136A4BA28C2.jpeg
    98.7 KB · Views: 99
  • 7D239634-FE1E-4256-9597-2BC8C1E953F7.jpeg
    7D239634-FE1E-4256-9597-2BC8C1E953F7.jpeg
    81.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 85564E9C-1F93-4165-9BFB-339DEB5BD58B.jpeg
    85564E9C-1F93-4165-9BFB-339DEB5BD58B.jpeg
    79.9 KB · Views: 101
I prefer Butches for break in because it is fairly fast but not to aggressive (You don't need a aggressive solvent because you are cleaning between every shot). If a rifle has a very bad fouling condition I use Sweets 7-62 but I don,t leave it in the barrel more than 30 Minutes. If for some reason I have to leave the barrel in solvent over night I like the Boretech eliminator and for long term storage I use Hoppes #9. That sounds like a lot of different solvents, but each one has it's place and use so these are the main ones I like to use

J E CUSTOM
I'm glad my way of thinking is backed up by someone with a wealth of knowledge on the subject. The only real difference in our techniques is I havent used a chrono to help me decide when my barrels are broke in. I just never thought about it.
I'm sure those that have used a good barrel break in technique can attest to the "feel" the barrel gets when the burrs are smoothed out. That smooth patch feel when you run a clean dry patch through the bore along with the lack of blue color on an ammonia solvent soaked patch has been enough to convince me of when a barrel is "ready" , but I think I will watch velocity too in the future. Just cant get away from learning something on this site if you aren't careful ! Lol

Last edited:
I'm glad my way of thinking is backed up bu someone with a wealth of knowledge on the subject. The only real difference in our techniques is I havent used a chrono to help me decide when my barrels are broke in. I just never thought about it.
I'm sure those that have used a good barrel break in technique can attest to the "feel" the barrel gets when the burrs are smoothed out. That smooth patch feel when you run a clean dry patch through the bore along with the lack of blue color on an ammonia solvent soaked patch has been enough to convince me of when a barrel is "ready" , but I think I will watch velocity too in the future. Just cant get away from learning something on this site if you aren't careful ! Lol

The reason I went to the chronograph was an attempt to "Prove" what I had seen and experienced over time. I wanted to eliminate the opinions and use something that had no stake in this argument and measured the results as they were.

Until I tried this process it was just that and I needed convincing that it was just not my opinion and it did that and more. It was also a better way to tell when the brake in was finished and saved excessive shooting that was not necessary to reach the intended goal.

I will continue to use the chronograph on all of my new barrels to evaluate the different brands for quality and build a bigger data base to learn more about the differences in barrels and will post information if I find one that does not change and apparently did not need a Break in.

The real surprise has been the amount of velocity increase throughout the test/break in. If someone comes up with a better way to measure results I would like to hear about it so I could try it.

J E CUSTOM

The reason I went to the chronograph was an attempt to "Prove" what I had seen and experienced over time. I wanted to eliminate the opinions and use something that had no stake in this argument and measured the results as they were.

Until I tried this process it was just that and I needed convincing that it was just not my opinion and it did that and more. It was also a better way to tell when the brake in was finished and saved excessive shooting that was not necessary to reach the intended goal.

I will continue to use the chronograph on all of my new barrels to evaluate the different brands for quality and build a bigger data base to learn more about the differences in barrels and will post information if I find one that does not change and apparently did not need a Break in.

The real surprise has been the amount of velocity increase throughout the test/break in. If someone comes up with a better way to measure results I would like to hear about it so I could try it.

J E CUSTOM
To my way of thinking, velocity would have to ultimately determine the condition of a particular barrel. The only other factor in breaking in the barrel would be distortion of the bullet from burrs , causing accuracy issues. The distortion would likely show up in velocity too, so we are back to your test protocol

Last edited:

J E CUSTOM
What increase are you typically seeing from shot to shot?
I tried this for the first time and had approximately 10fps, but every once in a while one would drop, which I wrote off as inconsistency in the factory ammo I was shooting..

What increase are you typically seeing from shot to shot?
I tried this for the first time and had approximately 10fps, but every once in a while one would drop, which I wrote off as inconsistency in the factory ammo I was shooting..

So far it has been on average, 10 to 15 ft/sec for the first 7 or 8 shots and somewhere around 8 to 10 shots it level out with slightly faster or slower velocities. So far the increase has been around 80 to 100 ft/sec from the first shot to the brake in. It appears that the final SDs/quality of the ammo has something to do with the velocity spread during break in and this would explain the difference in each shot even with the increased gain in velocity each time.

The first time I did this test I though it would be around a 40 or 50 ft/sec improvement. one day I will try this test on a factory barrel and see what the results are. In the past it has taken 30 + shoot and cleans to reach some point where the bore felt better when patched.

J E CUSTOM

So far it has been on average, 10 to 15 ft/sec for the first 7 or 8 shots and somewhere around 8 to 10 shots it level out with slightly faster or slower velocities. So far the increase has been around 80 to 100 ft/sec from the first shot to the brake in. It appears that the final SDs/quality of the ammo has something to do with the velocity spread during break in and this would explain the difference in each shot even with the increased gain in velocity each time.

The first time I did this test I though it would be around a 40 or 50 ft/sec improvement. one day I will try this test on a factory barrel and see what the results are. In the past it has taken 30 + shoot and cleans to reach some point where the bore felt better when patched.

J E CUSTOM
I would love to see a video by someone breaking in a barrel with chrono readings and cleaning procedure

JE,
You are probably the most logical choice. You build rifles that shoot in the 1s and 0s and have figured out a breakin process. Love to see it, as would everyone else on this site. I'd help edit the footage if needed.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.