Upgrades to my coyote rig

ShootnMathews

Hey gang. Just thought I'd show my coyote rig and some upgrades. The rifle is a Ruger American Predator 22-250 that I picked up a few years ago because I couldn't pass it up. Then it came with a Leupold vx2 3-9x40, Harris bipod, and 2 boxes of Superformance ammo and I paid $270 for it. After using it I love how this thing shoots and hunts. But I absolutely hated the stock. It's flimsy, thin, and the magazine was an embarrassment. The stock was so thin in the wrist and forearm that it was actually hard to hold on to. So I did some shopping around for stocks and asked in a few groups. Most recommended B&C or KRG stocks but I happened upon a Magpul locally for $229 and after playing with it some I think it suits my needs well enough. The Magpul allowed me to mount the IR light in a different manner which got it much closer to the barrel and stock so it doesn't hang up on as much stuff. And the stock allows me to attach the sling on the side which makes this beast lay flat on my back. The stock added some weight but with all the night gear it was already heavy. Other upgrades are a M*Carbo trigger kit that dropped the pull to 1.5# and a MDT bolt knob. The trigger is great now and the big bolt knob makes fast shuffling so much easier. The polished knob of the Ruger often slipped out of my hand in dewy conditions at night. The 7.62 Magpul AICS style mag feed much more smoothly and reliably than the factory mag. And I don't have to worry about it flying apart if I drop it. Having an Easter egg hunt to find mag pieces in the woods after the dropping the factory mag sucks. And it is so nice to have the length of pull and cheek weld adjusted. The ruger stock I had to use like a bottom of the chin weld. Anyways. Super happy with this rig now. I'll post pics in reverse. The way it sits now, before the new upgrades, and how it sat when I bought it.
IMG_6028.jpeg
IMG_6029.jpeg
IMG_6003.jpeg
IMG_3981.jpeg

Looks Great! All of those Ruger Americans shoot fantastic. I have several friends with them.
Thank you. This is my first one and I couldn't pass it up with the deal I got. But I'll freely admit I thought I bought a piece of junk when I bought it because I knew nothing about them. After shooting it I quickly realized this rifle will shoot. The NV scope on it now is not clear enough for precision shooting but it's great for killing coyotes. But when the Leupold was on it I had no problem shooting 1/2" groups with 50 grain Vmax superformance ammo. The 60 degree bolt throw also speeds up shuffling. I mean this thing is a coyote hunters dream. My only complaint is I'd like to see an 18" or 20" version to accommodate a suppressor better. When I put a suppressor on this one it's like a Viking boat paddle it's so long.

It's
Very nice looking setup. Tell me about the light hanging off the bottom of the stock.

It's a high power infrared light that lights up the area. The infrared light is not visible to the human eye but the sensors in the scope pick it up. To the human eye it still looks pitch dark out but the scope sees this……
IMG_6096.jpeg

The downfall is if you have something close to the scope ,like the grass you see in this still image from one of my videos, it can get so bright from the light that it can white out the view. But it is a cheaper alternative to thermal scopes.

I picked up one of these stocks a while back but haven't mounted yet. They seem like a good choice over the Tupperware factory ones.
Thoroughly pleased with mine. Yes they add weight over the factory stock but the Magpul doesn't weigh any more than any other aftermarket stock. The fit and feel is a vast improvement and so is the magazine. It even helps the accuracy a little in most cases too.