6x47 Custom Coyote Rig Questions

Jeff W.

I've been analyzing various calibers for hunting long range dogs and cats (coyotes, lions, bob cats, & fox) in Arizona. Shooting my 6PPC in benchrest competitions has me preferring the combustion and accuracy qualities of short/fat cases and small primers. I also am addicted to the versatility of the 6mm bullet.

Accordingly, I'm getting very serious about using the 6.5x47 Lapua case as the foundation for a custom 6x47 predator rifle. I'd probably shoot the same custom 65g boat tail bullets in the 6x47 that I shoot in my 6PPC. The action would be a BAT SB, Jewel trigger, Kreiger barrel, McMillan stock, etc.

Can anyone help me with estimating the velocity of a 6x47 Lapua shooting 65g BTs? In benchrest competition, I don't particularly care about velocity. For all I care, the bullet could walk up to the target as long as it goes in the same hole. For hunting purposes, I'd like an idea of the type of performace this combination could produce to ensure it is hitting the target hard. In my research, most folks are shooting slightly heavier bullets in a 6x47. For the hunting I would be doing in AZ, the 65g BT would be an excellent pill for putting predators to sleep.

Thanks;

Jeff Welker

6.5x47

Jeff I can't help you on the ballistics of the 6.5x47 but there is some Information on
benchrestcentral.com that might be useful to you. I noticed in your post you used the caliber 6.5x47 and 6x47 Interchangeably, are they actually the same case design or will you be Improving the cartridge?. I do most of my coyote hunting at night here in ohio and I use a 220 swift. most of my shots are under 200 yards.

Clearing up info and some help to Jeff

"killahog"
Jeff was merley stating that he like the 6.5x47 Lapua design (small primer hole) and this is the parent cart. to the 6x47 Lapua. Just run the brass through a Forester FL die and done. however I'm goona start first with a 6br form die then to the FL, trying to control the brass from moving to eratic and getting to much build up on one side of the brass.

"Jeff"
Here is a great starting point for you Jeff
6x47 L Data -

this should broaden the horizons upon ur questions..

Hope this helps
tim b.

6.5x47

Thanks for clearing that up tim. I checked out the link you posted and those are some really good results.

Thanks

"killahog"
Jeff was merley stating that he like the 6.5x47 Lapua design (small primer hole) and this is the parent cart. to the 6x47 Lapua. Just run the brass through a Forester FL die and done. however I'm goona start first with a 6br form die then to the FL, trying to control the brass from moving to eratic and getting to much build up on one side of the brass.

"Jeff"
Here is a great starting point for you Jeff
6x47 L Data -

this should broaden the horizons upon ur questions..

Hope this helps
tim b.
tim b.

Thanks much for the link. The info was most helpful. I know the 6x47 Lapua is used by many Class F shooters; however, I'm thinking it would be a great predator rig. I'll keep researching loading data and report my progress downline.

In the meantime, any other input, suggestions or comments are appreciated.

Thanks;

Jeff Welker

Jeff
this caliber would indeed fit the bill of a Very nice Custom Predator Rig. I was re-reading the first posting and looking at the components u have in mind for the build, I have o say whoo! Now this fella spares nothing, only the best of the best. Everybody has different bugdets and ideas of a custom rig, but my hats off to you if your building a Predator Rig with say a BAT action and you're planning on carrying it in the woods. Your better than me, I would cry upon weeks when the first scratch appeared. Enough of that.. back to the rifle..
If this were mine, I'd go with a no-turn (.272)neck and have the barrel at 1-10 twist. I know of another 6x47L with this set-up and it will shoot up to the 90 gr. bullets with awesome 1/2,moa or better. 95's were slightly given bigger grouping, and anything 100 just key-holed.
Hornady 87 V-max's would be the ticket for those LONG shots that your after..Howver PD hunting could be one bloody mess if the Speer 70gr TNT performed. Nathan Dagley and Eddybro (sp?) and I all shoot this caliber and love it. Do a search for this caliber or 308nate(thats Nathan). BTW Nathan could build u that rifle u want, he got the reamer, I should know!!!!

Later on..tim

I would also take a look at the 87 V-Max for longer ranges. The BC isn't bad at .4 for that bullet, and it has a rep for great accuracy.

6X47 Swiss Match

I built my first rifle on this cartridge in 2002. It was an NRA course gun for a customer in CA.
Back then, I couldn't get brass for it so a friend was actually picking them up off the rifle ranges after the Swiss National Rifle team finished practicing, and then mailing them to me.

These were original RUAG pieces. I also started forming my own from 260 Rem brass much later.

Velocity. RUAG advertises a velocity of right around 2850fps when loaded with a 105 grain Hornady A Max bullet.

I could never get that velocity. Try as I did, I never was able to duplicate it without seeing signs of pressure. I used Varget (old lots), 4831Sc, Win 748, N-140, and good old IMR 4895.

As soon as I got much over 2750 I'd start seeing ejector marks and flat primers.

Guns always shot well, (I've made four guns in this caliber) regardless of how the bullet lumbered along.

I think if you squish this down to 6mm and stoke it up with a light bullet, you'll really have something. Sounds like a neat idea to me.

I'll stick my neck out and guess that with a bullet in the 60 grain range you'll be in the mid to upper 3000's for velocity. I think the combination of the lighter bullet weight and smaller caliber will keep the powder selection right in the same ballpark as if it were a standard 6.5X47 shooting 140's.

Lets see how full of ca ca I am. I guess either a 7.5 rem SR primer or CCI BR with the case filled to the neck with 4831SC or N-140 and the bullet just off the lands will make this a screamer.

Approach this load gradually is my obvious safety net here. Don't want anyone blowing themselves up.

Good luck.

NeskiaChad
Your not full of ca ca..I've been shooting this caliber for a little of 3 months and shot one 400yd competetion with it (shooting mini-clay birds) and placed 4th. 1st-3rd were all 6.5-284's and with rigs well in access of $3000.00+. My Savage that I hand put together and bedded myself(of which I need help with) still out shot many more full blown custon rigs and TRG's that go over the 3k to 4k..
"IF" I wanted to do a custom varmint rifle but yet on a smaller budget. Here are my following components:
Action: Phoenix Arms Heavy Target or a Stiller Predator
Barrel: Broughton, Bartlein, Saturn, or Kreiger
Trigger: Shilen (Remember budget) or the Jewell
Stock: Bell & Carlson A2

Barrel length at 26" and probably 1-8 twist with a heavy sporter style, a notch under varmint. If not walking much, then go with Remington varmint contour. This rifle setup would even be good enough for F-Class matches let alone win plenty home town matches. Yet it would be a smasher on varmints with the 87vmax's and then switch to the 105 Bergers for matches and hunting deer/hog's.
I'm currently shooting a plumb worn out barrel, worse than a street hooker!!! It was converted over with a little over 2100 rnds and now has another 100+ by me as a 6x47 Lapua and with 40.5gr H4831 and 115dtacs, this thing holds 1" at 400yds. A new barrel is goona be in the works considerings how this one shoots with it being a Savage.

Later..tim

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.