Ultimate Pronghorn Rifle, opinions welcome....

Fiftydriver

Official LRH Sponsor
To all,

Many of you know I was lucky enough to draw a pronghorn permit that I have been after for sometime now. Anyway, just finished up building the rifle that I will use on this hunt.

Personally I feel this is my concept of the ultimate pronghorn rifle but before I list my idea of what makes the perfect pronghorn rifle as well as pics, I wanted to see what you guys feel would live up to this rather bold statement???

Thanks for the replies in advance.

Kirby Allen(50)

Ok I'll bite on this one: The 257 AM. Pronhorn are like small deer except they live in mostly open country relying on their speed for survial, so a big bullet isn't necessary. I forget what you and Richard have come up with in 257, but I suspect it will be just about the exact amount of killing power and long range performance. We don't have pronhorn in BC, but from what I've read it seems a good strategy would be to get up on a little rise where you can over looking a large likely area to hold pronhorn, taking your range finder some water and a sandwich or two. Get there as it's dawning and spend the day there.

Here goes:
Something in the range of 25 cal or 6mm with a screaming 100 grain or maybe a bit bigger bullet. Long, 3 groove bbl to get the velocity but light enough to drag through the sage brush easily. I'd do the extreme configuration w/maybe the V block just to make it even more unique.

A decent scope /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif maybe 10X or one of those weavers. With a Mil Dot so you don't have to click. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Then I'd mount the rifle along with the trophy head and the story engraved on a brass plate. That would give the grandkids something to take to the antique road show when it gets to Great Falls./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

You kind of supprised me. I figured you would just use your wife's rifle. But no, you had to go an show off and make a special one just cause you could. Come to think of it there ain't no better reason./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Good luck and good shootin'

I am in the process of building an antelope rifle as we speak. I am not a wildcat shooter but the average Joe looking to wack an antelope using readily available calibers...for me it was the 257 Weatherby, 26" #4 Shilen, 700 action, Jewell trigger

No debate - I've already ordered the ultimate pronghorn gun for fall 06 when I plan on taking mine at over one mile. To do that I'll use a 7mm Allen Uber mag single shot with the biggest baddest barrel Kirby will consent to - and Richard's best projectile.

My top three scope choices? All have NP-R2 illuminated reticules that add an additional 35 MOA <ul type="square"> [*] 8-32x56 Benchrest ( 1/8 MOA turrets - 50 MOA usable ) [*]NXS 5.5X22X56 with 95 MOA usable [*]NXS 3.5-15x56 with 111 MOA usable [/list] The winning scope - Again no choice really, the 8-32x56 BR with 1/8 MOA turrets. It will be mounting a 60 to 90 MOA pre CANT rail. Should I be so unlucky as to see a monster antelope at a mere 200 yards, that's what the A-bolt .270 WSM is for.

None of the calibers mentioned have enough energy to deliver the knock out blow at one mile.

I love to pit Kirby against Kirby /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Alremkin,

Your pronghorn hunting technique would get you some good bucks my friend. I always feel its better to let the big bucks come to you they try to force the issue trying to get to them. Course that is why Richard and myself are making these crazy wildcat rounds and bullets so that the "Letting the big bucks come to you comment" covers alot more ground then it used to /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!!

Thanks for the reply,

Kirby Allen(50)

Roy,

Your close my friend, at least to my idea of the Ultimate Pronghorn rifle. Remember this is my version and I will admit there are infinate versions that would quality for each one of us. Just like to hear others idea that would be the ultimate for them. Then they can critic my version.

Its funny you mentioned my wifes rifle, actually it was used for this project as this will be my pronghorn rifle but more importantly HER deer rifle.

After seeing the performance increase with the new Lilja barrels I just had to see what effect the new Liljas would have on this rifle. We will see soon!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Huntem,

Pronghorn rifles don;t get much better then what you have discribed, you will have a serious goat rifle there my friend.

The 257 Wby offers great performance in a factory offering, getting it out of the Wby rifle is the best choice you made. That should raise some hackles /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif!!

Kirby Allen(50)

b1g_b0re,

That will be a special rifle when we built it for sure!!! Will be fun to build it and maybe test a little before shipping off!!!

Kirby Allen(50)

6.5WSM with a heavy wildcat hunting bullet, or the yet to be made accubonds...

5-22x50 nxs w npr2 ret

28" 700 varmint contour fluted.

a5 stock

badger 10rd AI mag FP

JB

[ QUOTE ]
<font color="purple"> Kirby,I still say keep the Kahn close by. </font>

[/ QUOTE ]

Yup, even more energy at range than the 7mm /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/frown.gif Always have a backup plan. In my case it was for short range /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Kirby:

I've got to go with the 257 Allen Mag with probably a Lilja barrel, probably around 30", more than likely fluted with brake. I'm guessing a thumbhole laminated stock with the usual Harris bipod.

Action will probably be the Rem 700 fully accurized with all the goodies.

The scope will probably be a variable with an upper range of about 14 – 16 power, but possibly a little higher although I doubt it.

Bullets will probably be Wildcats in a heavier weight for energy retention and wind bucking, not to mention the accuracy.

If it's strictly for deer and or antelope then this should fill the bill. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.