opinions welcome

AUnate

New member, first post.

Im planning on purchasing a rifle in the 7mag/300 mag range for future hunts out west (and maybe elsewhere i.e. Ak down the road).

I have a Tikka in 7-08, which I love, and was leaning towards another from this brand.

My question is would you trust a hunt that you may only experience once every few years to this rifle?

I love mine, and it works well for the South Alabama woods, but then again, my back-up rifle is just a few miles down the road. I'm just not sold on the plastic parts and what might happen in rocky, mountainous terrain, or the elements.

My other choices are savage 114, or a winny model 70. (sidenote, I own a 270 wsm savage 16 and 270 winny model 70 from 1992 already.

Only requirement is SS barrel.

thanks
Nate

I would take the Mod 16 in 270WSM. Good ammo available off the shelf and you can really make those things work if you do your own hand loading. This caliber is going to shoot right along side the 7mm and 300. Now if you hand load then the you can really ring out the mags, but the 270WSM some how is magical medicine for animals.

Tank

I think the 7mm and 30 cal bullet selection is better than 270.

But, 270WSM will get the job done.

Tikka should be fine. I like the Savage 111LRH and Remington Sendero.

There are lots of good choices. The best rifle is the one you practice with.

-- richard

I love my Tikka rifle..They are Durable, light, and accurate ..

I really wish they chambered the T3 in 7WSM...

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.