Ultimate Pronghorn Rifle, opinions welcome....

I hope this post continues for another week or so .. because.. I'll show you not 1, but 2 unlitmate Goats Guns!!!

That's right boys the twins!!! Be patient and it will be worth it...

These 2 rifles were built for just this sorta thing!!

Remember when hunting Antelope you need... a reliable bullet, wind bucking ability, some what flat trajectory, and longer range capability...There is such a caliber.. but I don't think anyone has said it in this post yet.

Just playin with ya Kirby. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

It is a heck of a nice rifle. My wife doesn't care if buy guns. Actually she said she thought you did a great job on my gun. You should see a pic of here standing next to it, it is nearly taller than her.

Now as for getting here into hunting and shooting, not a chance in hell. She HATES the cold and she can just barely muster up the courage to shoot a 22lr.

Take it easy,
Steve

Ric,

Interested to see what you have coming!!

Also interested to see how it compares to the 257 Allen Mag as far as portability, accuracy, ballistically and terminally. I think it would be very hard to outperform this rifle for use on pronghorns in open country spot and stalk hunting but I am sure you have a very good contender.

From the qualifying criteria you list for the ultimate pronghorn round, the 257 AM meets all your requirements but one, I will admit it is certainly not "Somewhat Flat shooting" /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/blush.gif!!! IT is about as flat as realistically possible at least comparing it to any extreme performance wildcat I have ever hear of. But I agree it does not qualify as a "Somewhat flat shooting" cartridge!!

Did I mention recoil of this rifle is about that of a 223 Rem in a varmint weight rifle /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!! I was even suprised at this when I started doing the barrel break in. Even less then the heavier Extreme Sporters in 257 AM.

The reason, the brake works better at slowing the rearward movement of the lighter rifle.

Interested to see what you have in the works!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirbly...

Well it isn't a 1/4 caliber .. ;-)

I have no doubt the 257 AM is a very fine goat gun...

me personally I didn't want fire forming and super fast barrel wear... I also wanted factory ammo in a pinch if needed... just kinda my criteria for my rifle.. should I have a brain fart, forget my ammo and need to buy factory ammo I want a caliber that I can do that with.

after doing several Alnetope hunts over the years and given the ranges we take some of these antelope at I wanted somthing that bucks the Wyo wind really well without having to push the bullets so fast that my throat and barrel wear out to fast...

I think I have the perfect caliber for it...

However, I will say this.. if I was to limit my self to 300 yard shots it would be a different caliber.

Kirby, when is your pronghorn hunt. Just wondering when we should start getting excited about seeing some pics.

Thanks
Steve

Ric,

I suppose it all depends on what the max range a person intends to take a shot at as to what round would be the best.

That said, the 156 gr ULD RBBT will exceed or match any commerical bullet on the market as far as ballistics is concerned, drop and winddrift. Compared to the 300 gr Sierra Mk in 338, it produces nearly identical drop values over 800 yards when driven to the same velocity.

The only reason I know this is because I have tested this bullet in my 257 Allen Mag at 3100 fps head to head with the 300 gr SMK in 338 out of my 338 Kahn loaded to nearly the same velocity(3075 fps).

Drop and drift testing were so nearly identical that the data did not produce a winner ballistically.

That said, this is a fireforming level load in the 257 AM. In the 338 Kahn, this is a full tilt load.

When the throttle is put down a bit we can drive the same BC bullet to 350 to 400 fps more velocity then the Kahn.

It was for this reason that I felt the 257 AM was the only chambering for my Ultimate pronghorn project rifle.

I have been breaking the barrel in today as I do other projects in the shop. It amazes me how the rifle simply quivers as it is fired, NO recoil at all!! I really like those Hollands on light barreled rifles, especially with a big case.

As far as throat and bore life, I admit they will be limited to some degree in this chambering, no way around that. STill this is a big game rifle, designed solely for this purpose and in this role, it will offer plenty of accurate barrel and throat life for most hunters to use if for well over ten seasons.

SO for their design application, I feel throat life is a non issue in a dedicated big game rifle, simply because they will not be used for high volume shooting.

Anyway, look forward to your two project rifles and seeing what they are!!!

Good Shooting!!

Kirby Allen

Kirby I have a .270WBY. on a Sako action with 28" #5 barrel
that wallops white tail deer pretty good.With a high BC bullet it would slay the pgoat on out there.Be alot better than a 22 rim fire!!

I hear what you are saying Kirby... Like I said I am sure the AM's do quite well...

Fireforming just isn't my thing...

I have every intention of trying Richards bullets at some point. I just am impatient and I don't want to order 500 for fear my rifle would not like them. Also, for me I'd have to get my throat and OAL based around those long thin bullets of his and my Mag dimensions. These rifles are built on SA's and they are not real condusive to l o n g thin bullets... Although I am not a "lead thrower" I do like to have one or 2 in the mag. if I would need a follow up shot. So single shot rifles are not my thing unless I would compete only with them.
I also like to shoot and shoot often every rifle I have... (I have over 2800 rounds in a 308 Chris built for me just over a year ago) even if it is just a "hunting" rifle. I enjoy heading to the desert for some PD's and some "sand blasting" just to keep my skills sharp. So a super fast screamer just doesn't fit my M.O. at this time.

I guess I build stuff on practicality.. if it ain't practical I don't really see a use for it sort of attitude.. I like back up plans as well.. hence the "must be able to shoot factory stuff too" attitude...

I hope to have them in my grubby paws soon!! ;-)

Hey Kirby,

your in luck so far. My wife doesn't hate you ....yet. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/wink.gif

However, in the not so far off future, or possibly sometime mid next year she might reconsider./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

As for shooting, she likes to shoot pistols from 38's up to my 44 mag. For the rifles, well she gets bored prety easily after shooting the bull out a few times, she just doens't see the point. LOL I personally would REALLY hate to make her mad enough to want to draw down, cause I have seen her shoot enough to know it would all be over in a matter of seconds. As for the hunting well, she is more of the, you bring it in and I will help you chop it up, but don't ask me to shoot it, sort of girl.

Looking forward to seeing some groups out of that thing at some decent hunting ranges. I am sure it won't be long till you have a half decent load worked up for it. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

Sniper2,

The 270 Wby is in my opinion one of Roys best creations but unfortunately one of the least popular probably due to the caliber.

The 270 Wby will reach WAY out there in a well designed rifle and perform exceptionally well on game up to 400 lbs and even larger with porper shot placement.

Certianly no flies on that old girl!!

Thanks for the reply,

Kirby Allen(50)

Ric,

Yes fireforming can get tiresome, thats why I generally only form 50 rounds of brass per batch and shoot it until it give up the ghost.

I would agree that for someone wanting to shoot their rifles alot the Allen Magnums are not the best choice, no arguement from me there.

I will also admit that ripping a 156 gr .257 bullet out of a light 30" barrel at +3400 fps can result in some load tweaking being required compared to a more conventional round.

Also, a short action rifle can easily be built into a 7 lb rifle with great accuracy and consistancy whereas that is not practical with this type of round, again, I fully agree.

But for pure HorsePower, which I think you know I have a soft side for, theres nothing like lighting a match under 100 gr of WC872 in a 1/4 bore rifle!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Very interested in seeing your new rigs, please post pics even if this thread dies off.

Whos doing the work? Chris?? If so we all know they will be impressive to the eye as well as on the range!!

Kirby Allen(50)

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.