Ultimate Pronghorn Rifle, opinions welcome....

Well , my preferences would be either something in 243 or 257. With the right bullet you could get to 1000yds with enough to kill an antelope with a very fast 243 if you got something with as much or more speed than the 240 Wby/6-06/6-284. The 257 AM would be perfect.

If you have the 7mm AM ready with the Lilja barrel that would be something to try and see even though I think it is a little much for antelope. It wouold be better in a lot of wind but if there is a lot of wind then long range shots become pretty iffy.

Good replies all and I think the Kahn may be along for the ride also but this will be an Allen Mag harvest hopefully. TO bad the 338 AM will not be ready!!!

Anyway, here are the criteria I wanted to build into "my" version of the ultimate pronghorn rifle. In my hunting area, like most pronghorn terrain, the country is huge. There are quite a few ranch roads through it but most is accessable only by foot or at least with a decent hike.

As such the rifle had to be relatively portable. I have put in several 5 to 8 mile hikes pronghorn hunting in this area, the walking is easy but its long so I wanted to keep rifle weight ready to hunt in the 9 lb range. That is not the easiest weight to hit or even approach with a full 30" barrel which I wanted to use.

Recoil also had to be light as this will be my wifes big game rifle after I get done "testing" it out for her!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

While I wanted light weight, I also wanted plenty of power and ballistic performance for taking a 1/2 mile shot with confidence if it presented itself. Again, not the easiest thing to do in a 9 lb rifle.

For the ballistic portion of the rifle, it was relatively easy. I have been sitting on one of the new Lilja 1-7" 257 barrels which I believe is the only one in existence as of yet.

This was kind of an experiment for a rifle design I have been playing with for some time. The rifle is what I call my Extreme Sporter Lite. The full blown ESL will use this same, very light #5 contour Lilja fluted with Dans heavy 50 BMG style flutes. This cuts a bit over 3/4 lb off the rifle weight alone!! Along with that there will be a McMillan Hunters Edge 22 oz stock used instead of the significantly heavier Boyds Thumbhole sporter. Projected rifle weight of an Extreme Sporter Lite will be 7 1/2 lbs with a full 30" barrel.

Again, this is kind of a hybrid of the concept as I used the wood stock as my wife greatly prefers the look of wood, as do I. Still it adds between 1/2 and 3/4 lb to the finished rifle.

316867.jpg

316865.jpg

This is the finished product ready for barrel break in and range testing. Bare rifle weight is only a fraction over 8 lbs!!! Ready to hunt it is about 9 1/2 lbs so I was a bit off on making the 9 lb limit but for a 30" barreled, wood stocked rifle I am happy with the results, I will not notice the extra 1/2 lb much.

316872.jpg

The size of these flutes is clearly shown in this pic. For a #5 contour these flutes are huge. At the breech end the full diameter ribs between the flutes only measure .220" wide compared to .300" flute width.

316875.jpg

At the muzzle end the ribs only measure .110" wide compared to the flutes at .240" wide, more then twice the flute width then rim width.

I also wanted the long range performance which would have been easily met with any of the AMs out right now but with the 257 AM being my first baby I wanted to use her to take the first Montana big game animal with an Allen Magnum.

The bullet used will be the awsome 156 gr ULD RBBT with is drop test computed .820 BC(DROP TEST COMPUTED!!!)

From testing the new Lilja barrels in the 270 AM and seeing the performance upgrade with those barrels I am expecting to get +3400 fps with this bullet in the 257 AM with the new Lilja. This should offer true 1000 yard potential if the very light barrel contour will handle the stress of this long bullet driven to these high velocities.

I also wanted this rifle to be totally usible for closer range shots should Daddy big boy jump out from under a hill at 100 yards. As such, I will be using the Weaver Tactical 4.5-14 mil dot with the FFP reticle.

It will be zeroed so that the bottom post of the reticle will be a dead on hold for 1000 yards which is typical of my AM site ins. This will result in a 100 yard impact height of around 2" to 2 1/4", again a typical 100 yard zero for a conventional big game rifle but offering instant 1000 yard targeting and holding reference points with no scope adjustment. I can go from 100 yard jump shooting with the scope set on 4.5x or 800 yard shooting off the bipod and rear bag with the scope set on 14x.

The rifle will be zeroed at long range set on 14x. Even thought this is a FFP scope, there are slight variations as far as POI are concerned. Very little but at 800 yards and out, things need to be perfect and for that reason I will zero at long range on 14x as any error induced by lowing the power for closer range shots will be greatly decreased by the lesser ranges.

So thats my idea of the ultimate Pronghorn rifle.

-Relatively light
-Extremely accurate(we will see /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif!)
-capable of 1000 yard target engagement
-Low recoil(will be about like a 223 sporter)
-Scope capable of close and long range shooting with no adjustments.
-Ablility to buck the ever present breeze on the prairie

I think she will do fine! Alright let me have it, what do you think and where is my system flawed????

Have a good day,

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby:

Great looking rifle and I don't think you could do much better than this. You got it pretty close. You could do variations, but the overall package will absolutely get the job done and it won't kill you to pack it around looking for Mr. Big.

It only has one big flaw that I can see though. It's in your safe and not in mine. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Looks to me like it'll soon be: Kirby "1" Antelope "0". And then it's goodbye, cause after you get done "testing", it won't be yours any longer. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Kirby,
OK, got my interest! Do you make that rig in left hand?
It is a beautiful looking rifle and I love that wood look!

I used to have a 25'06AI with a Royal Arms, laminated stock that looked very much like what you have, right down to the palm swell, but no grey. PO Ackley himself made it; no flutes, in those days. I have a 3/8" 200 yard bragging group, all that I have left. Some creton stole it, and it never turned up, so I assume it is in Mexico?

But anyway, it seems to me that a 25'06 makes a good starting point, but anything with at least '06 capacity in 6.5 or 7mm would also suffice?

Nice looking rig, Kirby. LB

Now that's what I'm talkin' about!

Find a bare spot on your shop wall and write this down.

Same configuration but bbl scaled up to 338 something action but wood stock that can be shot left handed. It'll be the old 721 that I shot my first white tail back in 1958.

Winter time project...... ready for 06 varmints, predators and I have a 'feeling' I'll finally be successful on my moose draw in '06

Very very nice Rig, Sounds perfect to me. I like the weight of the rifle. Can't wait to see how it shoots and of course the big goat you take.

Well I will throw my 2 cents in here.

It is terrible, horrible gun. Probably won't shoot for crap.

I'm joking, that is a amazing looking gun Kirby. THe barrel looks some what similiar to my Allen Mag, just a little skinnier. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

My wife does hate you though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif She said if I spend any more money on guns she will leave and drive up to Montana and hunt you down. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

After I get back from this moose hunt here in two weeks I might have a 300 rum you could turn into one of your extreme light guns.

Uh oh, the wife saw me type that and now she has a gun /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Hell of a nice gun Kirby, wish I had two just like it

Take it easy
Steve

Looks and sounds like a very nice rig for your intended purpose, as well as passing along to your wife when your done "testing". I am positive that you both will enjoy it very much for years to come. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

For me I would just use my plain jane 25/06. I feel I know it's whims and temperment well enough that I could connect out to or past 500 yds and the 115gr PT should do their job when they got there. They haven't let me down yet.

Good luck on your hunt, we're all looking forward to seeing the preliminary as well as, the end results.

lerch,
I'm not having such a good day today but after reading your post I could'nt help laughing hard!!!
[ QUOTE ]
My wife does hate you though She said if I spend any more money on guns she will leave and drive up to Montana and hunt you down.

[/ QUOTE ]
I'm still laughing!!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
Kirby, don't feel bad...LOL...LOL.. That's the reason I haven't told my wife about you... LOL...LOL... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif...
Do you think maybe I should? LOL... /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif

LOL... Kirby, wives just say that to make us stop buying guns, but in reality they like you for they know their husbands are getting some quality product!!! LOL Do you believe that?

Yes, I feel gunsmiths get a bumb rap from the wives of customers for the most part.

I mean a customer comes to us, puts in an order, we do exactly what is asked of us, at least try to and make the customer happy only to be scorned by their better half???

Not fair. I think all of you need to do what Joe Boyd is doing with his fine wife Betty, get them shooting so you can both be happy and that will also bring twice the work!!! /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Later,

Kirby Allen(50)

Kirby
My wife does Whitetail hunt with me, but she usually hunts
our thicket stands & her needs are more modest. I don't think she will look beyond her 6.5X55 Swede until she gets
confidence to shoot further & until then it works anyway. I
hope in the next year or two she will Antelope hunt with me
& we will see then.
But back to the Antelope rifle subject. I think your choice
borders on perfection considering the hunting conditions that you described. Where I hunt in Wyoming the shots can be long, but I don't think they will exceed 650-700 yards &
that would be a rare exception. And for that, my Sendero
that you are converting to 25-06AI & shooting those beautiful 125 Wildcats that Richard has just sent me should
fill the bill very nicely. I am looking forward to this
hunt & some cool air.

Warning! This thread is more than 19 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts