Truth and cheat

I called best of the west one time and they tried to feed me that crap. I finally got it out of him that there test were against factory loaded bullets in the 300 rum( would not tell me which factory loaded bullets). Not a fair test by any means. There website even has an article on it, bet that is where he is coming up with that stuff because its like almost word for word it seems like to me but its been awhile since i went to the website. By the way the last several times i watched best of the west it looked like they had switched from 7rm-168 berger vld to the 6.5 x 284 and 140 berger vld. So now are you going to change your first post to 6.5 x 284 and shooting 140 vld beats 338 in every way all the way to 1500yrds but i only shoot it 600yrds because when im hunting --- im huntin--- Love and shoot what you like, let others love and shoot what they like.

There ain't no 7mm anything going to hit harder or buck the wind better than a 300 grain SMK out of a 338 Lapua, or Edge or 338 AM and thats a fact

Show me any 7mm bullet that has a higher BC. There is no way that any 7mm bullet will ever have the frontal area of a 338 bullet.Show me any 7mm bullet that will transfer as much momentum as the 300 grain SMK. Show me a 7mm bullet that wieghs 300 grains and at 1500 yards there is no contest of which one hits harder or any range for that matter. and that is what most here have been saying.
So what is your point

Show me any 7mm bullet that has a higher BC. There is no way that any 7mm bullet will ever have the frontal area of a 338 bullet.Show me any 7mm bullet that will transfer as much momentum as the 300 grain SMK. Show me a 7mm bullet that wieghs 300 grains and at 1500 yards there is no contest of which one hits harder or any range for that matter. and that is what most here have been saying.
So what is your point

Relax jwp, just a little humor eh :rolleyes: you read any of my previous posts?

This thread has turned into a FREE-FOR-ALL!

But hey, I'm still eating popcorn and reading...

Where's the photo of the 300 gr SMK!

Ask and thou shall recieve
Heres one

300GrainSMKRecoveredFromMoose982Yar.jpg

first of all i would like to thank shawn carlock and kriby allen for there clearly many years of expereience with shooting calibers other that 7mm rm if i missed any one that had good info (trshooter you are excluded) i am sorry i have a poor memory and i could not remember your names
second jcoop i have not laghed so hard in a long time
gamedog that is a very nice gun i wish i had the cash to get if not that some thing similer
phorwarth popcorn is a very good idea for this thred
to trshooter when absolulty nobody agrees with you that means you are the problem not the other way around espeshly (me bad speller) when you have people on here who thats is there life balistics and guns
can't wait for more laghs

TRS is stating opinion as fact and using muddy statements like "efficiency", his own ( secret until recently ) definition of max hunting range, and comparing standard srh .30cal loads to hot lrh 7mm loads. I'd actually ban his sorry *** in an instant, him considering everyone else stubborn, cheaters or false experts, it's obvious he'll be of little contribution to the forum.

Even so, I can kind of see his point as I've just gone from 338LM to 7RM, having sold my TRG-42 in the process as well. ( and that was a tough decision, I've had a couple of customs yet the TRG was by far my favourite action )

But!

I've done so while being clearly aware of the consequences. I'm not under the illusion 7mm Rem Mag is the best out there, just more suited for me. I'll expand on that a bit ( and then some ).

In this year's Finnish national sniper competition's ten mile orienteering stage, hauling the 16.5 lbs TRG-42 ( S&B 5-25 ) and the 11lbs (!) of ammunition required by the competition rules -- on top of everything else, of course -- I quickly decided this weapon system was serious overkill for a reservist punching paper and steel. Now maybe if the fate of our nation was actually at stake, but even then I'd suspect a lighter load would leave anyone in better shape to actually do some fighting. So, for tactical shooting as a hobby, I'd go for a lighter round in a lighter rifle, and that relates to cost of practicing, as well.

Not being restricted by actual military requirements, I started considering the downgrade. Another aspect to consider was hunting. So far, I've gone by using a plain jane Weatherby Vanguard 30-06. Nothing special, not even too accurate ( 1.5 MOAish ), but for some reason I've always liked the feel and finish of the action. Going for a true all-rounder, I figured I might rebarrel the long action Vanguard into a midrange caliber that would punch paper to 1200+ and remain deadly on game to ranges I personally would be comfortable with.

I skipped the 6 and 6,5 mm rounds because for game I personally prefer the frontal area of .30cal or bigger. No real scientific reasoning behind that one, just a gut feel. ( TRS note: opinion, not fact -- it's not that hard to admit now is it ) Anyways, when you get to .30 and .338 territory, decent BC means 200gr+ bullets, which means 90grs+ of powder and either massive recoil, noise ( brake ) or weight ( suppressor ) and I didn't see any of these attributes as appealing for a true all-rounder.

That leaves .284 caliber to play with. Just enough of everything, not too little, not too much. Out of 7RM/7WSM/7RUM I skipped RUM because of the same issues the larger rounds have, I skipped WSM simply because around here in Europe 7RM factory ammunition is immensely easier to come by, should you lose your handloads in airport customs, for example. I don't care about the belt, for precision work I only trust fireformed brass anyway and I use the Lee Collet neck die so headspacing off the shoulder is a given. Shooting 160AB/PT, 168 or 180 VLD and maybe the odd SMK or Scirocco gives me plenty of options. I've already salvaged some 400 pieces of Norma, RWS and Sako brass that should see me through my first barrel. I've got the dies, CCI250's, the works, now all I need is to have my Vanguard back from the gunsmith ( a former Sako gunsmith, no less -- apparently the company's current standards weren't enough so he started his own gunsmithing business ) fitted with the Shilen #5 select match grade I bought. Pics to follow, hopefully with venison on the side...

An all-rounder should be as good for offhand shots at 30 yards as prone bipod-supported shots to 1K+. Having had a custom 6,5x284, a fairly lightweight 30-06, the TRG, etc. , I'm pretty confident a <10lbs carry rifle with a Zeiss 3-12x56 ( mildot, target elev turret ) and an accurate barrel in light varmint contour can fit the bill.

I'm not blinded by some personal definition of "efficiency" to the fact that a 30, 338 or bigger magnum ( with a similar or better SD bullet ) WILL kill stuff with more authority, all the way from muzzle to out there. It's just that for me personally, considering weight, recoil, and cost of shooting, things just happened to sway in the direction of a decent mid caliber.

I'm willing to live with the restrictions and maybe lose the odd opportunity due to not enough gun, but I'm also willing to bet those situations are way few and far between.

I can't believe I read the whole thing.:rolleyes:

I do believe I learned a bit more about the members here. That's good.

I like JRu's post. It had the been there, done that, and I'm gonna change some things feel to it.

RWS brass! I'm drooling here dreaming about how much pressure I could load it to.:rolleyes:

Finland must be a good place.

Since we are in comparison mode here:D Is there something that can beat my 7mm Dakota XP-100 with the 200 WC's for distance shooting/steel (drop/wind) and do a better job on game (including elk) than it is capable of doing out of a 18" tube?
Or what would you build for 1K or 1K+ elk rig in a 18" or shorter barrel?

I don't care if it has more drop than the 7 Dak.
But I would want wind to be equal or better and for sure I want frontal area to be better.
And this specialty pistol would also have a rifle scope on it as well;)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.