To 30-06 shooters-

Thanks to all those that provided positive feedback. With the feedback given, I've decided to start over, load 4 sets of five different loads, each with different charge weights of a given powder. I'm really leaning on the reasoning of lousy groups was cause of that cracked stock. After the stock gets replaced, well then, no excuses

Berry's bullets makes .308 plated 170 gr bullets that shoot well at reduced loads in my 30-06 rifles with Trail Boss or H4895 if you can't get the lighter bullets to stabilize.

Bullets with thinner jackets or plating and softer lead cores have always shot well in my worn milsurp rifles with reduced loads.

I use 100 grain .312 pistol bullets for fire forming my .303 British cases, and they shoot good enough at 50 yards with a peep sight.

HHDfGl9.jpg

HyLFfuv.jpg

My replacement stock should be in this week, and was wondering if someone could let me know the torque values of the 2 action to stock mount bolts. Again, this would be on my Remington 700 LA BDL. I've seen a couple of treads on here where it was mentioned, but the values were conflicting. One tread said 35 lbs inch, and another 65 pounds inch. The replacement stock will be a Magpul Hunter 700, if it even matters. Thanks, all

The Wheeler F.A.T.
Recommended Torque Settings
Wood, Fiberglass or Synthetic Stock without bedding pillars: 40 inch-lbs
Wood, Fiberglass or Synthetic Stock with bedding pillars: Up To 65 inch-lbs.
Hard-use service-type rifles in synthetic stocks with pillars: Up To 65 inch-lbs.

I would check any information that is obtained with the stock for torque specs.
or E-mail the stock company to obtain their torque.

Good Luck in this venture.

I ran some 110 about 4k out of my 300RUM with a 10 twist. Worked fine. I think they were Hornady though, I will have to ck the box.

Your 10 twist will have no trouble stabilizing the little bullets. Stabilization becomes a problem as bullets get longer for weight ratio. As was mentioned earlier the only problem that you may encounter with the fast twist for bullet could be jacket separation. As a general rule faster than needed twist will have more benefits than negatives. Higher stability gives better terminal performance and ensures the best bc. Only down side to over spinning bullets is you will lose a little vel compared to a slower twist barrel with the same bullet. Poor quality bullets can have trouble with over spinning if they are not round.

The testing that Nemo did showed better accuracy at long range by using faster twist barrels. They run 8" twist in their 300wm for running 200g class of bullets.

I think your new stock will be a help. Good luck.

Steve

Just received and mounted the stock two days ago. Fit up went well, as all the reviews and YouTube vids stated. It is definitely a good upgrade, and the price was just right. Definitely improved the look of the rifle, vs the look of the factory stock. There are a few, but not too bad, complaints about the stock being heavier than a factory stock, but I could tell no difference. Seems like it feels lighter, really. If one were to invest in this stock, I suggest also purchasing the mag lock accessories for sling eye and QD attachments. There are pre placed divets, for one to drill/tap into the stock for 10/32 thread swivel eyelets, but I saw a couple of comments that were against doing this, as tapping into plastic was a recipe for disaster for a strip out to come.

The recommended torque on the action to stock bolts were 55-60 lbs. inch. I decided to run with my original bottom metal, and once I shoot it awhile and save up the $$ I may upgrade to the detachable mag feature. I like using trigger shoes on most my rifles if they're available, and have to research if the trigger shoe will interfere with the trigger guard on that Magpul attachment.

Ironically, I've been on this forum alot lately, mainly reading, and have yet to read up on anyone using trigger shoes. Anyone else on here try/use those? Seems most talk on triggers are about upgrades to Timney, Jewell, etc.

Again, thanks for the positive replies on the lower grain .308 bullets. Gonna make up a batch today for testing, now that I've removed the fault of the cracked stock. Hopefully results are satisfactory. Will post up results, wether yay or nay.

Anyone of you ever develop loads for a light bullet? I'm trying to shoot Sierra 110 grain hp's out of my remmy 700, which I believe is a 1:10 twist, and can't seem to get a decent group. Is that bullet too light to stabilize?
I recently found out my 20+ year old Remington had a crack in the factory stock, and am awaiting shipment of the Magpul Hunter700 stock to show up. If my memory serves me, when I did do load tests for that 110 grain bullet back in 2013, I believe my stock was cracked then. When I bolt up the new stock, I was thinking of re developing loads again, to see if the new stock changes things. But, for the sake of frugalness and time management, I don't want to waste time and components if 110's won't work, period. I'm curious if the 1:10 twist will work for a light bullet.

Since I'm on this twist topic, and I'm somewhat ignorant to twist rates vs. bullet grain/weight compatibility, is there a chart of some kind somewhere, that tells what weight bullet(s) will work with different twist rates, on any given rifle? For example, if I decided to use 30 grain bullets on my Tikka 22-250, what twist rate do I have to have for it to work?
Thank you
SnakeP

I used to shoot 110 rn's for a 30 carbine out of my old win 670 '06 with h335 about a quarter century ago. They shot well enough, but when I graduated to a 300win the bullets went in the trash as they would go to vapor at the speeds a 300win can drive them.
My 5th '06 is shooting 150's with 4895 or 165 hdy sp's with i4350 and a mag. primer...

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.