30-06 to 280rem

PFCSkoug

i have a stock 280rem and i would like to use better brass than the winchester and remington brass avilible but dont want to pay the excessive amount for the norma brass so i was wondering if it would be possible to make 280rem brass out of lapua 30-06 brass and if so what steps would nedd to be taken.
Thanks
PFC Skoug

It can be made from 30-06 but the end result will be case with a slightly shorter neck. All thats needed is to nun the 30-06 brass through the 280 die and whats gonn ahppen is that your going to end up with a 280 case that is slightly shorter at the shoulder neck line and have a funky looking neck. This neck is going to act like a false shoulder so that theirs not an bad trouble with the excessive headspace that would be their if you sized the whole neck. Shoot the heaviest bullet possible and cheap with a mild mid range load for it. that will blow the shoulder forward and fully form the case.
You can also size the entire neck of the case and seat the bullet out far enough that it is jammed into the lands hard this will hold the case in place when its fired. again use a very long heavy bullet with a mid range load.

Or you can use the 280 brass from Nosler , its sadi to be pretty well built , and out of a factory gun I woulden't be worrying to much about how consistant the brass is as the factroy barrel likely isin't good enough to take advantage of the extra cost and consistancy of the higher quality brass.

Not that I'm knocking your equiptment but typicaly sorting the brass for tight consistancy is one of the later steps for better accuracy. Although the Lapua brass is very tough and will last a long time compaired to Rem and Winchester

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts