To 30-06 shooters-

Snake Plysken1

Anyone of you ever develop loads for a light bullet? I'm trying to shoot Sierra 110 grain hp's out of my remmy 700, which I believe is a 1:10 twist, and can't seem to get a decent group. Is that bullet too light to stabilize?
I recently found out my 20+ year old Remington had a crack in the factory stock, and am awaiting shipment of the Magpul Hunter700 stock to show up. If my memory serves me, when I did do load tests for that 110 grain bullet back in 2013, I believe my stock was cracked then. When I bolt up the new stock, I was thinking of re developing loads again, to see if the new stock changes things. But, for the sake of frugalness and time management, I don't want to waste time and components if 110's won't work, period. I'm curious if the 1:10 twist will work for a light bullet.

Since I'm on this twist topic, and I'm somewhat ignorant to twist rates vs. bullet grain/weight compatibility, is there a chart of some kind somewhere, that tells what weight bullet(s) will work with different twist rates, on any given rifle? For example, if I decided to use 30 grain bullets on my Tikka 22-250, what twist rate do I have to have for it to work?
Thank you
SnakeP

You may need to try a longer bullet. I've been seriously considering trying the 110gr or the 130 gr Barnes in my 30/06. . All copper bullets are typically longer. And because of the drastic increase in velocity, they stand a better chance of holding together.

... I'm trying to shoot Sierra 110 grain hp's out of my remmy 700, which I believe is a 1:10 twist, and can't seem to get a decent group. Is that bullet too light to stabilize?

Without knowing what the twist rate actually is, any suggestion/recommendation addressing your issue would be purely guess work. Generally speaking at 110 grain bullet should stabilize in a 1:10 barrel, but that too is relative to barrel length and MV. I'd suggest you start with getting to know your rifle intimately before you venure off into the unknown where you will only gather useless information.

Okay then....hmmm. Just kind of wanted to hear others experiences, on them trying lighter bullets on their '06 rifles. Not really looking to troubleshoot mine, as I know first things first, I need to replace my broken stock. It's a stocker rifle, bought off the shelves, sporter version. I guess I could measure the factory barrel length, but I don't even own a chronograph, so I guess I'm at a halt there.

Again, just looking to see if others have tried lighter bullets. If it will work, then I know what I need to do.

twist not as big of a deal as many make it. my rem 700 6mmbr will shoot everything from 68 to 107 great. I have not shot any lighter than that, or heavier, though. I do not have reason to. barrel quality; and having a bullet that is close to Reasonable for it.

Yeah I'm trying to develop stable loads for all bullet weights in the '06. My standard go to is the Sierra(Sierra is all I use) 165 HBT for all types of deer and elk hunting. With that said, I'd still like to develop loads in a 168 MK, 180 SBT, and finally the 110 HP.
The 110 HP will be for more fun type target practice and the occasional predator hunt that may pop up. The 180 will be, for elk also and maybe moose one day(bucket list), and the 168 Match bullet for serious target shooting.
Haven't had time in the past, but I will as retirement is right around the corner.

Iv never shot anything as light as 110 but I have a super light sporter 06 that kicked like a mule with heavy bullets so I worked up a 125 grn Nosler BT load this summer. It shoots fairly accurate and has drastically less recoil than even a 150 grain load. I'd compare it to my 243 as far as recoil. I shot a 4.5 year old whitetail with it this fall and I'm pretty impressed with the terminal performance.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    105.6 KB · Views: 93
It has been a number of years ago but yes I did shoot Sierra 110 HP out of my 30-06 with really good accuracy. It was a Interarms Mark X Viscount Mauser. I worked up to the suggested hunting load out of the 4th edition Sierra manual. It was 54.4 grs IMR 4064. I do not know what velocity I got because I did not have a chrno but the manual says 3300 fps for this load. I would say that my velocity was at least that. All I know is that it got there fast and would EXPLOAD a groundhog between 100 & 300 yards. :D

The fast twist might not give the ultimate accuracy in a cartridge and a light bullet, but it should work till the velocity gets high enough to rupture the jacket. The 110 should work great in the .30-06. You might need to try another brand or slightly different weight to get the accuracy you need.

Iv never shot anything as light as 110 but I have a super light sporter 06 that kicked like a mule with heavy bullets so I worked up a 125 grn Nosler BT load this summer. It shoots fairly accurate and has drastically less recoil than even a 150 grain load. I'd compare it to my 243 as far as recoil. I shot a 4.5 year old whitetail with it this fall and I'm pretty impressed with the terminal performance.

Nice!!

It has been a number of years ago but yes I did shoot Sierra 110 HP out of my 30-06 with really good accuracy. It was a Interarms Mark X Viscount Mauser. I worked up to the suggested hunting load out of the 4th edition Sierra manual. It was 54.4 grs IMR 4064. I do not know what velocity I got because I did not have a chrno but the manual says 3300 fps for this load. I would say that my velocity was at least that. All I know is that it got there fast and would EXPLOAD a groundhog between 100 & 300 yards. :D

Thanks, RT. Good to know

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.