Thoughts on the Remington 788

[ QUOTE ]

This rifle didn't come with a magazine (not that big of an issue) so I will likely made an aluminum or walnut insert to set the rifle up as a single shot.

[/ QUOTE ]

It is pretty common to find used 788's sans magazine. The release catch is located on the bottom rear of the mag right in front of the trigger guard and it is easy to bump and lose your mag. I got mine in the early 90's at the Tulsa gun show for $190 and went a couple of isles over and got a new mag for $10. Around here 788's typically now go for $300-400. I would love to find a .223 (or .222) cheap. Those calibers typically shoot incredible with nothing other than a trigger job.
The 30BR single shot sounds neat. Keep us posted on how it shoots!

[ QUOTE ]
if ya need a mag, let me know I can hook ya up
JS

[/ QUOTE ]

James,

Thanks for the offer. I should be OK. I have a 7-08 magazine for my other 788 that should work and a quick check of my gunroom turned up two other 7-08 magazines in unopened Remington packages.

If I do decide to go with the 30BR I doubt they would feed from the magazine anyway.

I should be picking up the rifle from my FFL today and will find out what condition it is in. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/cool.gif

Well I shot it as a .243.

I was at an estate sale and a lot I bought for some other items had a set of .243 dies in it.

Brass made from 7.62x51 NATO and loaded with some of my old horde of DuPont IMR 4320 and some 55gr bullets that I have had laying around for years.

2" at 100 yards with the cheapy 4x scope that came with the rifle.

I can't complain about that, though it will probably still end up with another barrel. It was fun to form, ream and turn the brass as a refresher project.

Mike

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.