Thoughts on the Remington 788

Utah Shotgunner

I currently have one that has been rebarreled by Atkinson in 7mm Mauser. It will soon be rechambered in an improved version of this cartridge.

A shop in my old hometown (Phoenix) went out of business yesterday and a friend picked up another 788 for me. Currently chambered in .243 I had him purchase it as I already have a Canjar trigger and scope bases for it.

While I won't be building a thousand yard hunting rifle on this action, I am thinking it might make nice 6.5x284 or similiar.

Thoughts on this action for an inexpensive project?

Thanks,

Mike

I would not build a 6.5 x 284 on a short action. Unless you don't mind pulling the bolt to eject a loaded round. If you seat those long 6.5 bullets deep enough to funtion in a short action, they'll be way down in the case and eat up powder space. JMHO

[ QUOTE ]
I would not build a 6.5 x 284 on a short action. Unless you don't mind pulling the bolt to eject a loaded round. If you seat those long 6.5 bullets deep enough to funtion in a short action, they'll be way down in the case and eat up powder space. JMHO

[/ QUOTE ]

Doc,

I will probably punch paper with this rifle. The 7mm Mauser I already own has the same problem you mention. I have just gotten used to it. Pulling the bolt on a 788 is easy.

I haven't really settled on a calibre yet. Everything else I load for is .224, .284 or .308 bullet diameters. I might stick with them since I have components, or try something new. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/confused.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grin.gif

I am really looking to see if there is a good reason NOT to use this action. My first one shoots great, but 10+ years have passed since I built it.

Mike

That is a lot of ctg. for a 788. I have one in 243 ackly and it doesent like warm loads. The rifle has been blueprinted. I think it is do to bolt compression considering the rear locking lugs.
Old Bear

[ QUOTE ]
That is a lot of ctg. for a 788. I have one in 243 ackly and it doesent like warm loads. The rifle has been blueprinted. I think it is do to bolt compression considering the rear locking lugs.
Old Bear

[/ QUOTE ]

The bolt compression is an issue I had never considered. Makes sense. I don't think it will be an issue in this particular case, as I don't intend to push it all that hard. My initial plan (posted in another thread) was to do a minor rework of my existing 7mm Mauser 788. Having been away from rifles for a few years it was an inexpensive way to get my feet wet again. This "new" 788 was cheap, has scope mounts and I already own a Canjar trigger to put in it.

I will most likely not go with a top end barrel. Maybe a Shaw or maybe a factory pull off 700 barrel shortened, threaded and rechambered in something like 7BR. I have a Shilen barrel in 7BR, but it is for a 700 action and will save it for that.

Thanks for the tip on bolt compression. I will keep that in mind and go for a larger capacity case (A.I. maybe) or a short cartridge like the BR (30BR sounds interesting) and keep pressures at a moderate level.

Best regards,

Mike

Why not shoot the 243 first and see what it does. I have a 788 in 243 that shoots small groups (.3-.4moa) with the 87gr Hornady BTHP or the Sierra 85gr SP. All I did was glass it and get a trigger job. Everything else is factory.
Just a suggestion. You may have a shooter on your hands already.

I wouldn't worry too much about "bolt flex" on a 788. The 243 is just as highpressure a cartridge as an AI will be. The NRA Tech staff has a 788 that has multiple bbls fitted. They used this set up for years to test loads, bullets, etc.
This rifle exhibits extreme accuracy in such chamberings as 308, 243, and 22=250.

PS You will be amazed at the 30BR.

i thought a 788 was the same action as a 700. only difference was a swirreled finish on the bolt. a 700 will handle cartridges up to and above 100 gr of powder.i don't think bolt flex is an issue.

[ QUOTE ]
i thought a 788 was the same action as a 700. only difference was a swirreled finish on the bolt. a 700 will handle cartridges up to and above 100 gr of powder.i don't think bolt flex is an issue.

[/ QUOTE ]

The 788 has rear locking lugs similiar to the Weatherby

[ QUOTE ]
Why not shoot the 243 first and see what it does. I have a 788 in 243 that shoots small groups (.3-.4moa) with the 87gr Hornady BTHP or the Sierra 85gr SP. All I did was glass it and get a trigger job. Everything else is factory.
Just a suggestion. You may have a shooter on your hands already.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have thought about keeping it as a .243. Simple answer would be "How much fun would that be?". As most folks around here, I am a handloader. Thru some sort of karma I have ended up with alot of components in .284 and .308. So dies and brass is all I would need for these calibers. The .243 would mean starting from scratch.

I will be glassing it and installing a Timney or Canjar trigger. (I already have one of each and only one other 788.)

Final caliber selection will be governed by what pull off barrel I can find. I would like to find a heavy barrel in one of the magnums so when I cut the chamber off I still have sufficient barrel length.

If I find a 7mm barrel I think I will build a .284 Win, if I find a .308 barrel I think I will build the .30 BR.

[ QUOTE ]
The 243 is just as highpressure a cartridge as an AI will be.

PS You will be amazed at the 30BR.

[/ QUOTE ]

At this moment I am not concidering an AI cartridge. Either way, I won't be pushing any of them very hard. I will stay in the moderate range on pressures.

This rifle is kind of a refresher course for me. If I decide to take up true long range shooting/hunting I will build another rifle on a different action.

I have a 788 in a 6mm ai. It's the most accurate rifle I have ever owned!!! Mcmillan stock, Hart barrel, Canjar trigger. The reason I used it is someone gave it to me, I'm glad they did. I wouldn't hesitate to build another one on a 788 action.

make sure your cartridge choice will work through the magazine, its an expensive ordeal to convert the 788 to a blind box setup like the 700, not enough meat in the bottom of the reciever to machine the rails like other blind box types.
I know a 284 with a 150 gr bullet will fit in the 788 mag but is the oal longer in the 6/284?
when I rebarrel my 788 it'll be in a 6mm AI. now that I found a couple new mags thats the direction I'm going.
JS

[ QUOTE ]
make sure your cartridge choice will work through the magazine, its an expensive ordeal to convert the 788 to a blind box setup like the 700, not enough meat in the bottom of the reciever to machine the rails like other blind box types.
I know a 284 with a 150 gr bullet will fit in the 788 mag but is the oal longer in the 6/284?
when I rebarrel my 788 it'll be in a 6mm AI. now that I found a couple new mags thats the direction I'm going.
JS

[/ QUOTE ]

This rifle didn't come with a magazine (not that big of an issue) so I will likely made an aluminum or walnut insert to set the rifle up as a single shot.

With the barrel I have found, it looks like I will be building a .30BR.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.