Thoughts on 270wsm for Elk

pburton

I have been around this site long enough to know that there will be a lot of people saying that you shouldn't hunt elk with anything less than .30 cal. But, I want to get some opinions about hunting elk with my .270wsm. It is a great shooting rifle that I am very good with out to 600 yards. I have a 7mm rem mag also. But the .270wsm is much lighter and easier to pack around in the mountains. 7.5lbs compare to 9.5-10 lbs. Obviously I would limit my shots to 4-500 yard. And to those of you that either have hunted elk with this caliber or do, what bullet are you using? Right now I am shooting 140gr accubonds.

I have killed around 2 dozen elk over the last 30 years with either a .270 or a .270WSM. Mostly used Hornady interbond bullets. Stay w/ the 140-150 gr bullets. The accubond will work fine. Just place your shots well and your good to go. Bruce

Most of the

Not a problem!

We have had outstanding performance in accuracy, velocity and terminal performance with the 140 Hornady BTSP. But the magazine deforms the lead tip of subsequent cartridges.

The deformed tips should make little difference @ your stated distances.

140 NABs shoot very good also and have proven great on mule deer. Haven't taken an elk with one....yet.:rolleyes:

I haven't hunted elk but seems there are quite a few using 270's and when I do Go I am going to take my 270wsm.

270 gr bullet still might be to light. I have seen three Bulls hit good with that weight bullet and we never found them. Three years ago I bought a .416 Rem Magnum and shoot only the 400 gr bullets, since then we have never lost an animal.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.