Thoughts on antler restrictions

For all the TX guys complaining about bucks they can't shoot, there is an easy way around that. Sign your place up for the TPWD MLD Harvest plan. It costs $30/yr. The state will issue you tags that are inline with your deer population. The buck tags they issue you have no restriction unless they specify that it is for a spike. So you can legally take a 12" (AR is 13" inside) buck and remove his genes from the pool.

Even being able to get 6 doe tags in my area there's way too many deer. Public land gets hammered and they head to private land for safety. If only hunting public land it would be very difficult to fill 6 doe tags in my area.
I believe here lies the problem. You used to be able to hunt the clean & green or drive the deer.
Until the 2001 regulations changed. From Pennstate link. https://pennstatelaw.psu.edu/_file/aglaw/Pennsylvania_Clean_and_Green.pdf
The regulation at 7 Pa. Code § 137b.64 now allows land owners to place reasonable restrictions on the public's access to a tract of land that is enrolled in Clean and Green as Agricultural Reserve land. These restrictions might include limiting access to the land to pedestrians only, prohibiting hunting or the carrying or discharging of firearms on the land, prohibiting entry where damage to the land might result or where hazardous conditions exist, or other reasonable restrictions.
Clean and Green Act do not dramatically alter the old regulations but do provide a few important new changes.Again, these include:
1. The Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture now sets the maximum use values for the counties.
2. Farmstead land now qualifies for a preferential assessment (lower use values)and;
3. "Reasonable restrictions" may now be placed on the publics' access to Ag Reserve land by enrolled landowners.

Last edited:
I believe here lies the problem. You used to be able to hunt the clean & green or drive the deer.
Until the 2001 regulations changed. From Pennstate link. https://pennstatelaw.psu.edu/_file/aglaw/Pennsylvania_Clean_and_Green.pdf
The regulation at 7 Pa. Code § 137b.64 now allows land owners to place reasonable restrictions on the public's access to a tract of land that is enrolled in Clean and Green as Agricultural Reserve land. These restrictions might include limiting access to the land to pedestrians only, prohibiting hunting or the carrying or discharging of firearms on the land, prohibiting entry where damage to the land might result or where hazardous conditions exist, or other reasonable restrictions.
Clean and Green Act do not dramatically alter the old regulations but do provide a few important new changes.Again, these include:
1. The Pennsylvania Department of Agriculture now sets the maximum use values for the counties.
2. Farmstead land now qualifies for a preferential assessment (lower use values)and;
3. "Reasonable restrictions" may now be placed on the publics' access to Ag Reserve land by enrolled landowners.
So they need to write laws that hunters that sign a release can't sue the landowner for accidents. Landowners do need to have full control of their land.... after all it is their land. They then need to be able to lease out hunting rights on it.
I hate all of the leasing that is going on now in the hunting world, but if there are landowners not letting people hunt for fear of lawsuits and there are deer that need to be managed then give the landowner incentive.

When I mentioned public hunting land I was referring to state game lands and state parks. I wasn't even aware of the regulation changes for clean and green since I have never hunted them.

When I mentioned public hunting land I was referring to state game lands and state parks. I wasn't even aware of the regulation changes for clean and green since I have never hunted them.
I understood that. But you also stated the deer run to safe spaces. And I would bet a lot are in clean & green.

Interested in others thoughts on antler restrictions.
I live in a state with antler restrictions which have been in place for quite a few years but have hunted states without restrictions and have seen the good results but have also seen the bad and ugly.
I will disclose my thoughts later which may or may not align with others here.
Everyone will not agree with others so please keep this civil.
Thanks, birddog 68
I like the new antler restrictions we have here.

"Shoot big does, not small bucks"

So they need to write laws that hunters that sign a release can't sue the landowner for accidents. Landowners do need to have full control of their land.... after all it is their land. They then need to be able to lease out hunting rights on it.
I hate all of the leasing that is going on now in the hunting world, but if there are landowners not letting people hunt for fear of lawsuits and there are deer that need to be managed then give the landowner incentive.
PA like a lot of states protect landowners thru Recreational Use of Land and Water Act.

The property owner should be able to pick the shooters especially when you have livestock on pasture