Thoughts on antler restrictions

They are already getting a sizable break on their taxes. If they don't want hunters on their land. Then they should pay their FULL share of taxes. Just like everyone else. I do agree they should be free from all lawsuits. My grandmother had her land in clean & green. Everyone was welcomed to hunt the farm. Most asked permission out of respect. And she gladly allowed them. Some even shared their game with her. There's always a trade off.
This is where I can't really suggest much. This is the first I have ever heard of "clean and green" or tax breaks.

Just going to weight in... MN instituted a 4 point antler restriction for only three years and saw no statistical difference. It had to have at least 4 points on one side to be legal. I embraced it initially, but I wished they would have stayed the course for at least 5 years. Some said it improved the size, others hated it. MN's first gun season is the 1st week of November....rut time for the young dummies.

Attached is a picture, bottom left side, of a 3x3 that is 19 1/2" outside that I was sure was a 4x4! He was old and well over 200 lbs on the hoof. This was a couple years before the 4 pt. restriction. He was 65 yards away trotting through brush in and out, behind 2 small bucks chasing one doe. Easy to misjudge in the heat of the battle. Douglas barreled Ithaca Model 37 20ga.

Attachments

• DSC00795.JPG
    DSC00795.JPG
    180.9 KB · Views: 31
It definitely helps manage deer populations in areas that were prone to over harvest of buck deer and under harvest of does.

It hurts private ranch lands that are already managing their herd for quality by making it illegal to kill cull bucks.

My county has a 13" minimum spread so this buck is allowed to breed more trash bucks that look just like him.
You can still shoot cull bucks you just have to be a member of the TPWD managed lands program. Very easy to register.

I agree with you but it doesn't mean people won't file a lawsuit. They may lose but I know that he has spent almost $20000 in lawyer fees so far so how much do you have to spend before hand and if you can't get the fees reimbursed you are out that money and if you are retired and on a fixed income you may not be able to keep the property anymore
Not saying I don't believe you but I've heard enough anecdotal stories to not believe you. Seems like the states have participants covered. Not heard of any lawsuits here.
[/QUOTE]
I will let you know what the outcome is of the 2 lawsuits that I know are happening after the verdict and the cost of everything even if the property owners are on the winning side

Well it's a civil trial. If you know the name of the defendant you can usually look it up and see what the plaintiffs claims are. All kinds of records.

I know in 15 years of staying on top of FWP and state hunting news I've not seen any lawsuits. I think one was a guided hunter that got lightly mauled by a griz- but that was private property not in Block. We've got over 1,300 landowners and 8.5million acres enrolled. If FWP fails to stand up to a frivolous liability lawsuit, the Block program would undoubtedly unravel.

Last edited:
Just going to weight in... MN instituted a 4 point antler restriction for only three years and saw no statistical difference. It had to have at least 4 points on one side to be legal. I embraced it initially, but I wished they would have stayed the course for at least 5 years. Some said it improved the size, others hated it. MN's first gun season is the 1st week of November....rut time for the young dummies.

Attached is a picture, bottom left side, of a 3x3 that is 19 1/2" outside that I was sure was a 4x4! He was old and well over 200 lbs on the hoof. This was a couple years before the 4 pt. restriction. He was 65 yards away trotting through brush in and out, behind 2 small bucks chasing one doe. Easy to misjudge in the heat of the battle. Douglas barreled Ithaca Model 37 20ga.
MO said it would take at least 5 years to see a difference. I say about 10 to start seeing a lot more BIG bucks on camera.

At My and Gun club, all of us Pheasant hunters had to sign up with the NJ Assoc of Sportsmans clubs and for that annual fee( ($40 or $50. ) we get a 2-million-dollar policy , thus protecting the landowner. Also no more guests . If your nephew or brother in law wants to hunt, them they need to join the club. Annual Club fee have now gone to over $650, plus the additional $40.00 fee. Still beats hunting on a WMA in New Jersey.

At My and Gun club, all of us Pheasant hunters had to sign up with the NJ Assoc of Sportsmans clubs and for that annual fee( ($40 or $50. ) we get a 2-million-dollar policy , thus protecting the landowner. Also no more guests . If your nephew or brother in law wants to hunt, them they need to join the club. Annual Club fee have now gone to over $650, plus the additional $40.00 fee. Still beats hunting on a WMA in New Jersey.
You still have pheasant in NJ ?

It definitely helps manage deer populations in areas that were prone to over harvest of buck deer and under harvest of does.

It hurts private ranch lands that are already managing their herd for quality by making it illegal to kill cull bucks.

My county has a 13" minimum spread so this buck is allowed to breed more trash bucks that look just like him.
Antler restrictions work weather you like it or not! Now like that pic above who the h$ll is the state to tell you what you can and can't do on YOUR land!
The land owners around me have accepted the idea of antler restrictions finally and have seen progress over the last couple years. But even 4 point rule won't save the bacon on these bucks I was hoping to see next year.

Attachments

• IMG_3460.jpeg
    IMG_3460.jpeg
    193 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_3358.jpeg
    IMG_3358.jpeg
    482.5 KB · Views: 29
MN instituted a 4 point antler restriction for only three years and saw no statistical difference. It had to have at least 4 points on one side to be legal. I embraced it initially, but I wished they would have stayed the course for at least 5 years
3 years? Odd that they only implemented it for 3 years and expected a statistical difference. From my limited experience here in Pa it took at least 5 years for a minimal difference and probably closer to 8 for a full noticeable difference.

YES BUDDY< They come in Crates!!!! They get delivered by the Breeder , very early on Saturday morning. Then we all sign up for Stocking the fields and pastures and woods. Each member must stock at least three times. We stock early, and no hunting until 9am !! We are sometimes just feeding the hawks!! NOV Dec and Jan Pheasant, then February Chucker Thats it!! Our club season usually ends the first weel of march.