Antler Growth Question

Discussion in 'Deer Hunting' started by tt35, Jul 26, 2011.

1. tt35

tt35 Well-Known Member

Will high country (9000') mule deer with lots of green feed continue to add tine length at this time of year? I understand their spread is pretty well established. What do you all think?

2. SBruce

SBruce Well-Known Member

I can't speak of high country bucks from experience, but the muleys here where I live (about 4300') are still growing. I believe they grow right up until they start loosing the velvet, or shortly prior to that point. They dont start shedding the velvet here until September usually.

Last edited: Jul 27, 2011

3. WyoElk2Hunt

WyoElk2Hunt Well-Known Member

I am agreement with SBRUCE. But soon they will start loosing velvet.

4. Topgun 30-06

Topgun 30-06 Well-Known Member

They should have a good 2 or 3 weeks yet to add some growth and some maybe even longer. I've seen numerous bucks still in the velvet the middle of September during archery elk hunts on the west side of the BigHorns and we're hunting at 6,500'-7,000'.

Shane---I sent you a PM!

5. smoked

smoked Well-Known Member

it depends on the buck and his hormones, good feed helps alot,but i have seen large bucks clear up in the middle of muzzy season in september still have heavy velevet with round tips like he has a ways to go. Pretty sure it depends on the deer.gun)

6. Topgun 30-06

Topgun 30-06 Well-Known Member

No argument there and basically what I was trying to say in my post!

7. tt35

tt35 Well-Known Member

Thanks you guys. We had a buck with a farly decent spread spotted but his forks were pretty shallow still. Just wondering if he was worth checking back on or not. I appreciate the input.

Tim