Antler Growth Question

tt35

Will high country (9000') mule deer with lots of green feed continue to add tine length at this time of year? I understand their spread is pretty well established. What do you all think?

I can't speak of high country bucks from experience, but the muleys here where I live (about 4300') are still growing. I believe they grow right up until they start loosing the velvet, or shortly prior to that point. They dont start shedding the velvet here until September usually.

Last edited:
They should have a good 2 or 3 weeks yet to add some growth and some maybe even longer. I've seen numerous bucks still in the velvet the middle of September during archery elk hunts on the west side of the BigHorns and we're hunting at 6,500'-7,000'.

Shane---I sent you a PM!

it depends on the buck and his hormones, good feed helps alot,but i have seen large bucks clear up in the middle of muzzy season in september still have heavy velevet with round tips like he has a ways to go. Pretty sure it depends on the deer.gun)

Thanks you guys. We had a buck with a farly decent spread spotted but his forks were pretty shallow still. Just wondering if he was worth checking back on or not. I appreciate the input.

Tim

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.