Thoughts on this medium range set up

Rob96

I have a Remington 700 ADL Varmint in 308 that I cut down to 20". With my handload of 165gr Game King over 45grs of RL-15 I get .55moa. I haven't gotten this chrono'd yet. For here in PA this is a great set up. Next year I will be going to Nebraska for whitetail. How will this set up be for a max of 350-400yds? My brother is telling me I should get a 300 Win Mag. I am thinking this is till going to be a good set up.

If You can hold .55 moa on the bench and you and the rig can hold 1 moa, in field shooting positions, you should have no problem killing any deer out to 500 yards.

Practice from prone, or shooting stix from the seated position. Make sure your choice of scope has good dials and repeats/tracks well.

I always try to get 2-3 weeks of good LR practice with a rifle before I go on a hunt.
I used to practice all summer, but with all the f-class shooting I do the summer is kinda full.

You will be fine. I took my first elk in wy. this fall with a 308. using 168 gr bergers with 44.2 gr of rl15. One shot at 382 yards. He went about thirty yards and was done.

You will be just fine. I have a custom 308 Win with a 21.5" barrel. You really don't loose all that much velocity in a 308 when you go shorter on the barrel compared to some other calibers. I have killed WT deer out to between 400 and 500 yards with both 125 gr Nosler ballistic tip and 46 grs IMR 4895 and 150 Sierra GK with 44 grs IMR 4895 with no problem. Just know your drops and like has been said have a good repeatable scope.

IMHO what you have is better than a shoulder busting 300. You're totally fine for anything you see within your range, no need to succumb to magnumitis, especially with deer. Many people have shot larger animals at longer range with the same or lower powered cartridges.

Warning! This thread is more than 13 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.