this savage is driving me nuts

IMHO, if the action screws are touching the pillars, you've got problems. The only part of the screw, that should make contact with the pillar, is the head.

Last edited:
i called Joe at savage, he was not in his office so i left a message.

SNIP

This was in response to his email to you, or did you find his number first?

Just curious, since he will often try to contact folks with problems by email.

edge.

he sent me an email asking for a phone number that i can be reached during the day. i am hard to find at work, so i called him at the number he provided.

joe @ savage called me back. they shot the rifle with the existing stock and got about the same results that i did. they changed out the stock and there was an improvement, but joe was not satisfied with it, he is going to have the barrel changed out.

i continue to be impressed with joe's customer service. calling me after hours and keeping me advised of the progress, i think is above and beyond.

i heard from joe yesterday, he says the rifle now shoots a 3 shot group into a .4" group.
should ship soon, will post range report

i've bought a savage model 12 btcss (thumbhole .223). i noticed during the break in that the groups were large (3"+) from the very beginning.
i was dry firing, practicing without ammo and i noticed that when i would press the trigger the crosshairs in the scope would bounce all the way out of the target box. the rifle didn't move but the crosshairs did.
i checked all of the mouting hardware and it was tight.
i checked to make sure that the rings were lined up and they were.
and the bounce was still there, i took the scope off of the savage and put it on my ar rifle and no bouce. i changed out the scope and the new one did it to.
i changed out the mounting hardware from a 2 piece burris base with leoupold rings to a 1 piece winchester base with leoupold rings.
no bouce was detected and i was able to shoot some less than one inch groups.
i am out at the range this afternoon, thinking that the problem is gone.
i am testing ammo and the groups go form sub inch to 3 inches.
i check and sure enough the bounce is back in the crosshairs.
i took it to the gun shop in town and they tested it with a brand new leupold and it does it to.
is ther an inherent problem with the savage model 12?
after trying 2 different sets of mounting hardware and 2 different scopes what is the next step?

get rid of the aftermarket stock, replace with factory stock, or you can rework the stock so it will fit correctly

the stock is not an after market stock.
does "rework" the stock mean bedding it?
(hope i didn't ask a dumb question)

Warning! This thread is more than 16 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts