savage barrel nut

I know the alignment won't change, but if the optic is compensating for a bore that is out of line with action to one side or other wouldn't it have to further compensate at longer ranges or under compensate at shorter ranges?

No sir, the angle of mis-alignment is a constant. The scope may be 10 moa to the side of what would have been zero on a true and square receiver/barrel assembly, but that angle is unchanging with regard to range. Check out Darrel Holland's excellent article on scope alignment where he talks about mysterious windage compensation that some shooters use when going from close to far targets. Scope reticle leveling and scope/bore alignment is the culprit. Some shooters do deliberately build in a slight cant to deal with spin drift (Lloyd Hill, for one addressed that trick on a segment of Best of The West), but personally I prefer to setup the rig plumb, square, and level, then dial for spin based on my ballistic info. There are several articles on this site which cover these issues, all good stuff.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.