Modify Other Barrels to Savage Barrel Nut?

Jim at northland shooters supplie has a good selection of these barrels in stock
great guy to deal with
why not buy a Savage
then barrel -throat erosion is no big deal
Jim sells match quality barrels around 300.00
no gunsmith fee's reqired
to rebarrel a Savage
& I have never seen a better more accurate firearm design
thats why 4 or 5 major gunmakers are copying the Savage design
imitation is the most sincere form of flattery
if ya cant beat em - join em

I wouldn,t say it is a bad idea, just impractical and costly.

If you use a Remington barrel you would have to turn the barrel down to 1" and re thread it to 1" 16 TPI

You could take a barrel and cut the tenon off and turn it to 1 1/16th and thread it to 1 1/16 TPI and make a barrel nut if you wanted to convert a Remington or any other action to work like a Savage.

OR you could just buy new savage barrels or take offs.

The main reason that I eliminate the barrel nut is, less moving parts and fit tolerances, You can have
a larger barrel shank (Normally 1.250 or 1.375) that adds strength around the chamber on large cases.
And looks better IMO.

J E CUSTOM

I dont shoot the Ruger Model-77's anymore but dad still loves them and waaay back yonder I had one in a .300 WINMAG. I had a shilan barrel installed and the gunsmith showed me a little trick with my factory barrel , while out of the stock he had me place one hand on the action and another on the barrel he said now try to work the two and I could feel a slight wiggle where the action and barrel joined. He told me he would cut the threads on my shiland barrel so tight that when started it would feel extremely tight all the way down . Another words in redneck language he would have to bow up on it to tighten it up.

Not to be rude but in my opinion I wouldnt degrade any Remington by installing a ugly barrel Nut..... Makes me think of that skeleton trigger patooie.:)

Agree, that is not the intent. The intent is to be able to use a Rem or Howa or whatever throwaway barrel as a fireforming barrel on a Savage action.

Oh I didnt realize what you where doing . I am a little Remington prejudice all I seen was you wanted to put the nut on a 700 Action LOL Sorry....

Good luck with your project.

I know at least two shooters that bought take off Remington Mod 40 barrels and cut them back to fit their Savage rifles. I see no reason why a guy couldn't take a Savage barrel and cut it back to use in a Remington (with a new nut.) Be even easier with a large shank barrel
gary

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but, I was under the impression that Savage uses 20TPI. They've got a "large shank" that measures 1 1/16" and a "small shank" that measures 1.050" (major thread diameters). Remingtons' tenon is 1 1/16" x 16tpi. 1 1/16" tanslates to 1.0625". Turning .0125" (that's twelve and one half thousants) from a Remington tenon isn't going to 'clean-up' the 16tpi. You'll still have part of the old Remington thread. I know of no way to magicly turn 16tpi into 20tpi. Also, cutting the treads completely off will not leave you with much shank to turn down and thread. Remington factory barrels just don't have much 'extra' shank, neither does Howa (Howa shank/tenon is metric, measures 1.020" I think). So, it seems to me, if you're going to use a Savage action the easiest route would be to use savage 'take-off' barrels (of the proper bore & groove) and set back and reamed to your specs for fire forming cases. You'd have to be picky to be sure the new chamber would completely remove the old one. And besides, you'd have that interchangable bolt head, too. All of this ignores the problems related from using brass fired in one chamber in another. Sometimes it works,,, sometimes it doesn't.

I think if you look at it really hard it becomes much easier to buy a barrel blank and have it fitted.
You'll be into a gunsmith probably more dollars having him cut the barrel back at least the thread length then chambering and hoping the new chamber goes in dead nuts and takes out all of the old one.
A new McGowen blank is $165 and it gives a gunsmith a clean canvas so to speak, in my mind the new blank gives me better vibes gun)

I think if you look at it really hard it becomes much easier to buy a barrel blank and have it fitted.
You'll be into a gunsmith probably more dollars having him cut the barrel back at least the thread length then chambering and hoping the new chamber goes in dead nuts and takes out all of the old one.
A new McGowen blank is $165 and it gives a gunsmith a clean canvas so to speak, in my mind the new blank gives me better vibes gun)
I'll second the above quote. Buy it cylindrical, not contoured. Chamber both ends (example; if you've got a 6.5mm x 284 and a .260 Rem or 6.5mm/06,,,,,, pic two). I think a better solution would be to have the barrel (on your custom) salt bath nitrided. Then just fire form in the original chamber. As mentioned in an earlier post, many times accuracy is very good when fire forming most Ackleys. I've shot a .22/250 AI for years. Fire forming always gave me "minute of prairie dog". Besides, nitriding would cost less than a barrel blank from McGown, not to mention the threading and chambering costs.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but, I was under the impression that Savage uses 20TPI. They've got a "large shank" that measures 1 1/16" and a "small shank" that measures 1.050" (major thread diameters). Remingtons' tenon is 1 1/16" x 16tpi. 1 1/16" tanslates to 1.0625". Turning .0125" (that's twelve and one half thousants) from a Remington tenon isn't going to 'clean-up' the 16tpi. You'll still have part of the old Remington thread. I know of no way to magicly turn 16tpi into 20tpi. Also, cutting the treads completely off will not leave you with much shank to turn down and thread. Remington factory barrels just don't have much 'extra' shank, neither does Howa (Howa shank/tenon is metric, measures 1.020" I think). So, it seems to me, if you're going to use a Savage action the easiest route would be to use savage 'take-off' barrels (of the proper bore & groove) and set back and reamed to your specs for fire forming cases. You'd have to be picky to be sure the new chamber would completely remove the old one. And besides, you'd have that interchangable bolt head, too. All of this ignores the problems related from using brass fired in one chamber in another. Sometimes it works,,, sometimes it doesn't.

that's exactly what they did. Cut the Remington barrel thread off and then turned down the larger O.D. to fit their needs. There was a guy that used always had them for sale on Gun List for a very cheap price. These guys must have bought a dozen barrels from the guy in different calibers. Some went on Remingtons and others went on Savages and at least one Winchester. But this was before anybody offered the Savage prefit barrel as an option.
gary

I think I read one post that actually addressed your question.

The answer is yes, you can do it and without cutting the remington threads off.
Turn the area behind the lug down to 1.055 for a small shank nut and to 1.120 for the large shank(prefered?) and cut the 20tpi threads. I use wires to measure pitch diameter to get the threads very close like in class 3 threads but that is for savage action to barrel fit. Cutting the threads class two or looser is probably OK for just the nut. From there setting the headspace is simple as screwing the barrel in or out. The only thing you need to watch out for is for the tendancy of the barrel to turn while you are securing the nut. Well... and the slack in the remington threads.

This can be done for for any take off barrel and no other machine work required to make it fit and headspace. I think it would even be feezable to use a jam nut or a half dog set screw with the proper pocket machined to maintain headspace for quick installs and removals.

I must add that if you wanted to rechamber you could do it like above or lop of the threads like others have said. If you do so often the diameter of the barrel reduces rapidly and may completely change the harmonics(accuracy) possibly even becoming slightly more dangerous if using full power loads.

Last edited:
G'Day Fella's,

Montana Rifleman, I have contemplated making up a couple of these barrel nuts for some of my Rem 700 rifles, for years now! Unfortunately, I've been a bit busy with other projects!!!
I have seen that the barrel making business in Spain that Ed Shilen help set up, make just these replacement barrels and barrel nuts, for Rem 700 rifles!
Try www.bergara.com or go Google up that name + Barrels and see what you find!!!

Hope that helps

Doh!
Homer

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.